Shield

~Yagen Toushirou~
薬研 藤四郎

Requested by Fathrui99!

---------------------------------------------------------

"Retreat! Everyone, retreat!"

Launching another shot towards any enemy she could see, she rode on her horse and went further into the wood. Her swords were in the midst of collapsing when she made sure that they had managed to escape from the enemies. As she got down, Higekiri could not hold on any longer and fell to the ground, shocking his brother Hizamaru. Taking out some bandages from her backpack, she hurriedly wrapped it around his wounds before murmuring an incantation to help him sustain till they return. Checking on the ammo she had left, a plan had to be made.

"What! No, we can't do this! This is absurd, mistress!" Drawing a huge cross with the scabbard on the soil, Kikkou objected her proposal. Pointing at Higekiri, she rebutted, "Higekiri's going to lose his life if we don't do that!" Before she could continue her sentences, enemies soon found them, launching themselves towards them. Opening a portal, she ran towards another direction which caught their attention. 

"General!"

"Yagen! You idiot, why did you follow me!"

Taking his blade out, he stabbed it deeply into the enemy before kicking it away. Hiding behind a huge tree trunk, she aimed and fired a shot at the yari before discharging the empty magazine.

Shit, no more ammo!

Noticing a tachi behind the tantou who was in the midst of a confrontation, she ran forward and blocked the attack for him. As soon as she was sure that she was slashed, her heart lightened up.

As long as he doesn't break, that's fine, she thought. He was much more important that her own life.

Feeling the menacing aura behind him, it was all too late. Blood splattered onto his clothes from behind.

General...?

Collapsing, the tantou turned his head to see the wounded sage. He didn't have time to gasp. Gripped on his blade tightly, he killed the rest of enemies swiftly before attending to her. She was still conscious, but the blood loss will soon take her life away if not treated quickly.

The blood...!

No matter how hard he pressed his jacket on the wound, the bleeding didn't have any signs of stopping. His mind panicked. Never once had he became such a fearful and timid person when it came to his general.

Because he loved her deeply.

"Y-Yagen... Are you alright..?"

"Why did you do that! Are you an idiot, F/N!" He shouted his reply to her, unable to hold back his tears anymore. The thought of not being able to protect her stabbed into his heart deeply, wanting to kill himself to redeem his sin. As a sword used for protection, it was a disgrace for not being able to shield its master from any danger.

"Let's go back..." Lifting her hand up weakly, a portal soon appeared within a few steps away. Squeezing on her hand tightly, he carried her up as they returned to the citadel.

"Aruji!"

"Ichi-nii! Come and help me!" His heart tightened before he could finish his sentence. Will she be able to pull through, he thought. What if he couldn't save her? What if-

"Yagen, Aruji will survive!" The tachi seemed to notice his fears as Yagen placed the female down on the bed. Looking at his brother, he wore a pair of gloves before starting his treatment. 

~~

Days soon flew by, and yet she didn't have any signs of awakening.

Did he do something wrong while treating her?

Clasping her hand tightly, he forced himself to think of the positive side. All these years, she had pulled through every ordeal. He did his best to treat her, and she recovered everytime. Surely this would not be one obstacle she couldn't pass through.

"Y-Yagen..."

Looking at her with his widened eyes, he soon broke into a smile as his tears fell, glad that she had conquered the obstacle.

"Good morning, General."

"How long has it been since I collapsed?"

Wrapping his arms around her body, he inhaled her scent deeply. Yes, that was the only thing that calmed him down the most.

"Four days. You had everyone worried sick, especially me. Don't do that anymore, F/N. You can heal us with your powers, but not yourself. Don't risk your life and save us, please. I don't want to lose you." Burying his face into her neck, the sage broke into a weak smile as she caressed his head, feeling the strands of hair running through her fingers.

"Sorry, it was my instinct."

"Idiot F/N!" He scolded as he laid down beside her, unwilling to let go of her.