Doubt with a Mixture

The only person who actually understood why I behave so weirdly. The only person who would break the law and risk getting discovered just to make me happy. That's my best friend. And I just lost him.

~~~~~

School has flown by. As in I haven't really been there. Now don't get me wrong I've been attending classes, but my mind isn't altogether there.

My thoughts are muddled over with the memory of what happened that day. Hank has made no move to approach me in any way. Ride to school? Nope. Eat together during lunch? No.

"-ley" It's not like I'm going to be the first to apologize. I did nothing wrong! "-oper" Hank just needs to grow up already and stop glaring at me all the time. Like now, I can feel his piercing eyes stabbing me in the back.

"Paisley Cooper pay attention!" Literally jumping from the sharp baritone voice striking through my internal musings, I give a small squeak in surprise.

Archer taps a ruler on the smooth gray surface of my desk. Peering at me over his reading glasses he flashes me a barely there smirk. "Did I catch you off guard?"

A hot blush creeps into my cheeks. Giggles and laughs erupt around the classroom. My body curls in on itself and I hunker down in my seat. Archer quickly barks at the class to 'be quiet'. Settling his steely gaze back onto my slightly trembling form his navy eyes soften before reverting back to his usual coldness.

"Stay after class." he taps once again on the corner of my desk before going back to teaching. "Now as I was saying!" Archer drones on and on about equations and different methods to use.

The shrill ring of the bell signals the end of class. Also meaning the end of my all my classes. For my free period I guess I'll just head home again. Because clearly I have no one to hang out with.

I watch as the hulking form of Hank unceremoniously shoves everyone out of his path. He makes his exit not once looking back. I don't blame him. Not one bit.

With my supplies already packed back into my backpack I settle back into my chair and await whatever it is Archer or Mr. Blake needed. He warmly waves goodbye to the retreating back of his students. Sending a strained smile before shutting his classroom door.

Now with no one in the room Archer turns from being the 'friendly' teacher to his usual arrogant smirking self. He crosses his arms over his chest and leans against his large wooden desk. Fixing me with an unreadable gaze he exhales a sigh.

We continue our staring contest even after the bell rings to signal the start of seventh period. We both know that I have no class after this, meaning Archer can keep me here for as long as he wants. Until 5 o'clock because that's when the school closes of course.

Finally I break the stare with a dark chuckle. With a roll of my eyes I sit up straight on my chair and clasp my hands together. "What?"

Archer nods his head as if by just that one word he's solved the entire problem. He smiles lightly before shaking his head while empty chuckles escape him. Gathering ahold of himself he settles a gaze filled with worry and concern at me.

"What's wrong?" at my silence he pushes onward, "Paisley you haven't been paying attention in class at all this week. I've asked your other teachers and they've all told me you've been quiet."