Chapter 63 - Reflection of Her

Start from the beginning

"People are living more independently without the factions. From what I've heard, most Dauntless didn't know how to really cook for themselves until after the war. The other factions would, but Dauntless wasn't like that, I guess." She sighs. "I just hope it doesn't get closed. If people are barely using it, it could get shut down. I mean, everything they sell here, you could easily make at home, I'm sure. It would be a shame... it's been here probably since the city was rebuilt way before even my time."

I nod, continuing to eat my sandwich.

"How's Tris doing?" She asks after a little silence between us.

"Really great, actually." I smile.

"I'm glad." She smiles widely.

We sit in silence, continuing to eat. I suddenly remember how Tris hasn't really been eating yet. That's really the one major thing wrong.

"She still hasn't been eating though. The whole standing thing will come with time, but they just can't seem to figure out what's wrong with her not being able to keep food down."

"Could it be related to that drug that was related to something?"

I sigh, remembering how much of a headache the IB group has been. I decide to not gear the conversation towards that in attempt to keep my cool.

"I have absolutely no idea."

"Maybe you should bring Indy to meet her. Would that maybe make her happy? Or would it be too soon...?" She smiles knowingly, changing the topic.

"I don't know. I'd have to call her doctor and see what she thinks. Or even if they allow dogs that big in the hospital. He is just about fully grown now."

"Call her doctor tonight. See what she thinks. They use to use dogs like him for therapy way back before the experiment. I had seen it in one of those dog books someone got for your birthday. She might surprise you. They could get along more than you think. He might be able to help her, for all you know.

"Yeah, but for all I know he could scare the shit out of her and then we'll be back at plan A." I snap. Sighing, I continue. "I'm sorry. It's just that she's all of a sudden doing okay, and I'd hate a change make her all of a sudden fall back down where she started. She's still scared really easily, and I don't know what she'll think of a middle sized bear all of a sudden being in her hospital room."

She chuckles, I assume at my metaphor of comparing my dog to a bear. "Then call her doctor. Talk it out with her and see what she thinks."

I nod, kind of ready to go home.

"I think it's just about time for Indy to be fed." I say, standing up and stacking my garbage.

My mother stands up across from me, and I take her garbage before she can go to throw it out.

"Thank you." She smiles.

I smile back and she follows me to the trash can across the room by the door.

"Have her parents seen her recently?" She asks, her face strangely quieter.

"Yeah. They had came two days ago when I was there around lunchtime. They also were seeing her tonight while I wasn't there. I kinda felt bad when I was there and they showed up. They struggle to get over to see her since Abnegation and Erudite are on opposite sides of the city. They wanted private time with her, and I just felt like I ruined their whole plan. Of course when I said I was going to head out, the declined and told me to stay, but I know the saw straight through my lie of an excuse to get out. I'm not a candor, but I still cannot lie if my life depends on it."

She chuckles. "Don't worry about it. I knew both of them very well for the longest time. The worst thing they'll do is unintentionally interrupt you when your speaking."

I smile.

It's times like these that I'm so glad to have my mother back in my life.

It gives me even more reassurance when I see myself in her; seeing how I sometimes act as a reflection of her bold personality.

+ + +

"Hi Marie. Four here." I say into my phone as she picks up.

"Oh, hello! I was wondering where you were today, but then I met Tris's parents and understood everything." She laughs lightly.

I chuckle. "How'd that go."

"Very good. She was overjoyed and relieved to see them again. They were happy to hear the few words she said. Her mother seems to be doing better too. The last time I had seen her, she was in a wheelchair. Now she's up and walking with the support of her husband when she looses her balance. I got to have a nice conversation with them. Very nice people..." She seems like she could talk forever.

"So, I wanted to pick your brain a little bit, if you don't mind, of course." I change the subject to what I called for.

"What can I do you for, Mr. Four."

I cringe, glad she's not actually in the room to physically see me.

"I was wondering on bringing my German Shepherd in to meet Tris. I was kind of unsure on if it would be too soon, so I wanted to see what you thought."

"Hmm..." She hums. "I say you can make the call, for you know your dog best. If you think he's friendly and calm enough, then sure, go ahead. If he's still puppy-like or doesn't like people, then maybe wait a little bit. But if you think he's okay, then yeah, sure, go ahead. Just make sure I get to meet him too!" She jokes at the end.

"Okay then. Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you then." I hear the line click as she hangs up.

I look down at Indy who's sitting at my feet. I had fed him before I had gotten on the phone, and now all the food is gone.

"Looks like you're getting to go on an adventure tomorrow."

I sit down on the kitchen floor next to him and he licks my chin.

"I hope you like hospitals."