Chapter 61 - It Worked

Start from the beginning

My mind screams at me as I can't control myself.

I can't do what she wants me to.

She's going to get mad and hurt me.

I'm so venerable here. I can't help anything I'm doing.

"Tris. Shh, Tris. It's okay." I feel her hand gently stroke my hair on my pounding head. It somehow calms me and brings me back to reality; knowing that she won't hurt me.

I trust her.

Even though I cannot see her, I trust her.

I hear a knock on the door and Tobias walks in. I also can tell it's him before he talks just by the way he knocked on the door, along with the way his gait sounds. It's heavier than Dr. Scott's, where her's is more light on her feet

"Good morning, Four. " Dr. Scott says as his footsteps make their way to the side of my bed as he replies a greeting to her. The chair beside the bed I lay in screeches as I assume he sits down on it. I feel his chapped hand take mine as he rubs his thumb on my hand. I lightly squeeze my hand, but they don't seem to work the way they use to.

I can barely move my fingers.

"Alright, Tris. Today's the last day for the eye drops. After today, it will be the maximum amount you're allowed for another two months. Let's hope this works." I hear her walk around, then I hear the small sound of water shaking. I've cut to the assumption that it is the eye drops she shakes before she puts the cold liquid both my eyes.

"Ready, Tris?" She asks, and I desire so hard to answer her, but I just can't speak. I don't understand why my voice won't work.

The cold liquid hits my one eye and I blink hard, the cold making it sting lightly like it never has the previous times she's put the drops in.

The same thing happens with my other eye. It stings lightly, and my heart rate quickens, fear rising in my throat.

What if she's trying to kill me?

What if it's poison that she's putting in my eyes? Or some kind of drug like David put up my nose?

I clench my eyes shut tightly in panic, not wanting her to put any more drops in.

Tobias moves his hand to my forehead and his thumb rubs my hand in attempt to calm me down.

Tobias wouldn't let her hurt me.

"Shh. Tris. You're okay." I hear his voice.

I open my eyes to the usual dark grey darkness I've become acquainted with. Except, now I see a form in the grey. I look around as all of these blurred lines form my dark grey world.

Blinking again, the grey isn't as dark as it was. The lines become more defined as I look back at Tobias and blink again.

Somehow, I see his deep blue eyes before I can make out the structure of his face or even his skin tone.

I blink again.

The form around me formed into shapes, and still, the only color I can see is blues and now greens.

I look around at the room around me, and then back at Tobias.

More colors come to my vision, and I now can clearly see the tan walls around the bed that I lie on. I see the grey blanket Tobias brought me from Evelyn at the foot of my bed, and I see the light blue sheets under it.

The floor is a light grey tile, and there's a white framed window to the right of my bed shining in a bright light.

I look back at Tobias. I fully see his face the way I remember it.

"Tris?" He questions quietly.

I make eye contact with a middle height woman with dark brunette hair and white skin that isn't very pale.

I guess Dr. Scott isn't the ginger haired tall woman I pictured her as...

"Can you see, Tris?" She asks, and I know for sure it's Dr. Scott once she speaks from knowing her voice so well.

A tear rolls down my cheek that I cannot stop.

My world is no longer grey and blank.

There's color, shapes, faces, people.

I don't have to be scared of not knowing what's in front of me anymore.

I nod lightly, still looking around the room at all the colors and shapes.

Then my eyes come to Tobias's face again, and I see tears in his eyes as well. He touches my face and wipes a tear falling down my cheek with his thumb.

"You can really see?" He says ever so quietly.

I try to speak, but my voice just doesn't cooperate. So I nod again.

I look over to Dr. Scott and see her rub a tear from her face. I smile at her, knowing she's the one who has given me my sight back.

"You can see." Tobias says still in disbelief.

I nod yet again.

"I can't believe it worked." Dr. Scott says in disbelief as well.

Me either.