Chapter Twenty-Three: In Darkness & In Light

Start from the beginning

            “Come on, we should still go. It could be a lot of fun!” she tried to persuade me by punching me playfully on the arm.

            “I don’t know.”

            “Mandy,” she turned to me. “It’s not illegal to have fun, you know.”

            “I know, I know. But you know I hate going to parties-especially these kinds.”

            “Trust me.”

            “No, it’s gonna suck. It’s gonna be like all the other ones we’ve gone to. Hannah gets the guy and Mandy is left hanging.”

            “Aw, I would never leave you!”

            I narrowed my eyes towards her.

            “Anymore, I mean.”

            I really didn’t want to go. Parties were such a waste of time in my opinion. You go there for a few hours, get wasted, possibly in trouble and then you have to somehow get a ride home. So what? I’d rather be at home watching a Friends marathon.

            Plus, I was already deemed “drummer girl” and nobody but my band mates and the band geeks from school happened to talk to me. I’m glad I have friends in the first place but seriously, I’ve never had a guy come up to me and want to have a one-on-one conversation that didn’t involve the words “Can I get in your pants?”

            Hannah, on the other hand, had all the guys drooling. Not that I’m surprised by this or anything, she’s got a small 5’4 frame, blonde hair and a bubbly personality. Me, I’m like a freaking giraffe standing at 5’9 and my dark hair is dull compared to hers.

            “I could help you pick out your outfit. I’ll do your hair and makeup,” she offered.

            Sounded good to me. “Let’s go,” I got up from my seat and we headed inside her house.

*            *             *

            Two hours later, we’re ready to go for the party. Hannah tried to force me into wearing a dress but I refused. I’m not a dress person, sorry. I threw on my skinny jeans and a slightly fancy top. However, I did let her do my makeup and hair.

            “I wonder who else is gonna be there. I know Jenna, Maddie, and Sarah and I think Billy might be coming too…” Hannah rambled while we drove to the party.

            I sighed and prepared myself for the party. To be honest, I was getting sick of the high school ‘party scene’ and frankly, the ‘party scene’ altogether.

            We drove for another five minutes and then pulled up to a grand mansion. It was a bit odd, especially right in the middle of the desert, but it still looked amazing. The driveway was packed with cars and the yard with teenagers holding red plastic cups.

            “Looks like fun!” Hannah opened her car door, stepped outside, and breathed in the air around her. “Smells like-“

            “Beer?” I finished for her.

            “That-and it just smells like Arizona,” we both slammed our car doors shut and walked up to the front.

            A guy dressed in a polo shirt and cargo shorts was leaning against the door, his blonde hair was short but it passed as ‘cool’.