Chapter 57 - Smile

Start from the beginning

Ken had been giving her nutrients through an IV, but if she doesn't start to eat soon, they'll have to put a food tube in her to her stomach before her digestive track shuts down.

"I've started studying that drug again, Tris. Don't tell anyone though; only Ken knows about it. I think I might be coming down to a conclusion of what happened to you from that drug. Oh, and the eye drops too! Those should be getting passed this week, and then I just need to make sure it won't make things worse on you, since you didn't go blind, um, well, naturally I guess you could say, but by another medically related substance."

Tris listens, and she tries to smile. She sets her mind strictly to trying to move her face, not to what Marie says next.

"We need to do another MRI on your leg soon. I'm almost positive that something isn't healing right after all of this. I also need blood work from you to see if this drug is still coursing your body or not. I'll talk with Ken about it and maybe we can get that done soon."

"Why don't you try some of this? I made some soup last weekend from some turkey left over from the holidays. I had put it in my freezer, and thawed it into a soup. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself." Marie chuckles at the last part.

She unscrews a thermos while she talks and moves over to the side of Tris on the floor.

Using the plastic spoon she got from the hospital cafeteria, she takes some of the broth and holds it up to Tris's lips.

Without needing to think about it like smiling, Tris opens her mouth a little bit and Marie gives her the small amount of soup.

Marie grabs the plastic bag she brought, prepared for Tris's stomach to give back the soup immediately just like the last time she tried to give her food.

It was suspected by Marie that part of the drug was causing her not to keep food down, so Tris keeping that small amount of soup down for just a few minutes either proves that her assumption was wrong or that the drug is weakening.

Marie hopes for the second option.

Tris shivers lightly from the warmth of the soup, also feeling the cringing of her stomach from not eating in forever. Tris closes her eyes, nausea coming in a light wave.

"Breathe, Tris. Don't force the food to stay down. I brought a bag, so don't worry, you won't barf on yourself."

Tris takes a deep breath, the nausea going away. She grips the old grey blanket, feeling comforted between it and the soup.

"The blanket must remind you of Abnegation, huh." Marie smiles lightly.

Naturally, for the first time since she's been in the MIU, she smiles a small smile.

But then, she nods. Moving her head up and down just a little bit to show Marie there is a person in there, and she is going to get better with her help.

She also knows that she can't do it alone.

But she also has learned to trust Ken, and Marie, and a few other nurses, such as Julie.

She's learned to trust some, but there's still a long way to go from here.

Hey humans!

Wow it's been a while since I've done an authors note.

Not much is new I guess. I've been working like crazy on this job I got just for the holidays. I'll be back more though after the 28th when it is over.

🎄🎄My birthday is this Tuesday, December 20 so that's kinda exciting I guess... I kinda don't like feeling special or anything but I mean it's a change from the normal for the day.🎄🎄

Wasn't really sure where I was going with this chap, but I don't think it's too bad...

Anyways...

61.6k reads!!

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to...

Vote

And

Comment

And

Be brave because I <4 you all so so much!

💚 Kat