Chapter 39 - Beatrice

Start from the beginning

I want to say that she will get to meet her soon; hopefully this week, but I haven't heard the final -o.k- from her doctor yet.

"Hey, Cara. Ready to go?" Caleb pops his head in the door and smiles, snapping me from my flashback.

"Yeah, I guess so. Should we just carry Bea or put her in her carrier?"

"I'd say the carrier. I would t want to risk dropping her, and it will also be warmer because we'll have to go between buildings outside to get to the hospital. There's quite a bit of snow out there from last night."

"Okay then, sounds good. Your parents are meeting us at the hospital, right?"

"Yeah, we all are going to meet in Beatrice's hospital room. They were going early to visit with her beforehand."

Caleb's parents, Caleb and I, Beatrice and -obviously- Tris will be the only people there in the room. At first it was just going to be Caleb, Bea, Tris, and I, but Caleb wanted his parents to be there if it was okay with me, since we all were kind of held captive together and all. Plus, it was then just our small extended family.

Caleb offered to invite Four as well, since he and Tris are together and all, but when I asked Four if he'd like to come, he denied, saying that he didn't want to invade on the family time.

I desperately tried to tell him that he wouldn't be invading, and that we'd love to have him there as well, and that he might as well be part of the family, but he denied, coming up with invalid excuses each time.

It takes a good ten to fifteen minutes to walk from our apartment at the top of our apartment building to the hospital on the other side of the Erudite compound section of Chicago. Thankfully, we can walk inside because all of the buildings are attached except for our apartment building to the building we walk in right now. We had to run across the street in the bitter cold to get to this building.

At least we didn't have to walk outside for long.

Once we arrive to the hospital, we make our way up to Tris's room on the ninth floor of the building; room 917.

Just as we reach the door, Beatrice begins to whine.

"Oh, no. Beatrice." I groan quietly so only Caleb could hear; not any of the doctors or nurses around us.

"Let's just go in anyways. Maybe getting out of the crowded halls and into the quieter room with familiar people will make her happier." Caleb says, opening the door and not leaving me time to contradict his solution.

"Okay." I reply under my breath as we walk in, Caleb following behind me carrying Beatrice in her carrier.

"Good morning guys." I smile walking into the room. Natalie and Andrew stand on the same side of the bed, Natalie holding Tris's right hand. Tris smiles at me and I smile back at her, not just my mouth showing a smile, but my eyes as well.

Tris is sitting upright in the hospital bed, the bed inclined probably close to a hundred and thirty degree angle. Her long blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail today, not down like it was when I saw her the other day.

If it wasn't for the massive cast going from her left foot all the way up to her hip and the setting of the room, I would really think that she was perfectly fine.