Sixty-Nine:The End

Demi's POV

"So you aren't going to be here so much anymore?" Avery asked as Wilmer was back and explaining our decision.

"I'll be here whenever you need me. But I won't be here as often as I used to be. Besides, you'll get to see your mom more now that you aren't in public school," Wilmer explained. "Listen, I care about you and your mom very much. We're just doing what we think is best and healthiest for all of us."

"Will you still be my dad?" Avery asked.

Wilmer smiled at her. "Of course, if that's what you want."

Avery then stalled her arms around Wilmer. "I just want a family."

After a while, Wilmer pulled away. "You do have a family. You have me, but most importantly, you have your mom." She looked at me, and I gave her a small smile. "I have to go home now. I'll see you soon," he said before kissing her forehead.

Wilmer and I said our own goodbye's before he left.

Avery stood there, staring at the floor. I walked to her and sat on my knees in front of her, placing my hands on her shoulders. "Avery, he's not leaving forever. You'll still see him. It won't even be that much different than before.

She looked up at me. "But everyone else has their Mommies and Daddies together.

I picked her up and brought her to the couch. "Not everybody, sweetie. There's a lot of kids who's parents aren't together. It's a very common thing." She didn't respond. "That doesn't mean it's easy, but know that you still have a family. We still love you.

She nodded and relaxed more in my lap. I kissed the top of her head, and rocked her for a little. After a while, I noticed she had fallen asleep. Instead of taking her to her room, I sat and let her sleep on my lap. I held her, not wanting to waste any second I had with her in my arms. I know this is hard for me, so it must be devastating for her. I just hope she can realize that we're both still here for her.

As I held her, I looked back on how far we had come. I was a new school teacher, so nervous for my first day. This little girl walks in, clearly more shy and nervous than anyone else. That little girl who would barely even talk to me was now my daughter. She now didn't have to hide all of her secrets from me. I was someone she didn't have to fake a smile in front of. I was here to take care of her and give her the love she should have had her whole life.

I'm so happy to be that person for her.

And now, with a family, she can be genuinely happy, instead of just having to hold everything back.

She needed me, but most importantly, I needed her. More than I ever thought.

Well, that's the end! I hope it didn't suck that bad.

Thank you so so much for reading! This was the ONLY book so far that has hit 100k reads before I had completed it. Now I say that's something pretty cool.

So yes, this has definitely been one of the most successful out of my books, all thanks to my amazing readers. Thank you for the support through out this process.

I hope you enjoyed!