Sixty-Two:Biting

Avery's POV

I didn't know how I was going to make it through the night. It was summer, so Momma didn't care if I had bad bruises. She wouldn't stop hitting me. No matter what I said or how much I begged, she just wouldn't stop. It's because I hid her bottles while she was gone during the day. I knew they only made her meaner, so if she couldn't find them, maybe she'd calm down. But, of course, it only made it worse.

"What makes you think you could just take my stuff?" She yelled at me. "It's mine!"

It made her really mad when I bit her to try to get away.

I tried to fight back, but I really shouldn't have.

Demi's POV

I felt a lot of movement next to me. I opened my eyes to see Avery squirming, pushing away at something that wasn't there. I knew she was dreaming.

"Avery," I said in a soft tone as to not wake anyone else in the hotel. I sat up and tried to wake her up by gently shaking her. With her eyes shut tight, she continued to squirm. I took her arms in my hands and tried to keep her from hitting me. Her eyes popped open, and since my grasp wasn't tight, she freed her arms. Since she had just come out of the dream, she was still in defense mode. She grabbed my hand and bit down before running off the bed and into the bathroom. I contained my yell so I wouldn't wake up the rest of the hotel. I had to remember that her dream was traumatic. She only felt like she was protecting herself. I brought my hand close to my chest and examined it.

She bit really hard. She drew a little blood. I had never seen her like this before. She had never done anything to hurt anyone. I've woken her up from dreams in the past, and she never tried to hurt me.

I rinsed my hand off in the kitchen sink, then went to the bathroom door. It was locked, so I knocked on it. "Avery?" I listened closely, and heard quiet sobs from the other side. "Avery, open up. It's alright."

I heard foot steps towards the door, but it didn't open. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it." The door was the only thing separating me and the little weak voice of Avery's.

"I know you didn't, sweetie."

"Are you mad?"

"No, baby, I'm not upset. Just open the door."

I heard the door unlock, and it slowly creaked open. Avery was waiting on the other side, her hand still on the doorknob, fresh tears in her eyes.

"Come here, Princess," I said, holding my arms out. She ran into them and started crying again.

Words were tumbling from her mouth. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I couldn't get way. I'm sorry I bit you. I didn't mean it."

"Shhh, it's okay," I soothed as I tricked her hair. "I know, it's okay."

"She wouldn't stop. She wouldn't leave me alone."

"It won't happen anymore," I continued. I picked her up and brought her back to the bed where we snuggled before slowly drifting back to sleep.

Sorry this is CRAP. It'll (hopefully) start getting better soon.