Seventeen: Restaurant

Avery's POV

"Do you want to go somewhere for dinner?" Demi asked. I shrugged. I really didn't care, as long as I got food.

She parked her car, and we went inside a restaurant. Someone showed us to a table, and we sat down.

"Have you ever been to a restaurant before?" Demi asked.

I nodded. "A long time ago."

Someone came by and asked us what we wanted to drink. "Water," Demi answered.

"Me too," I said quietly.

"Are you sure?" Demi asked. I nodded. The person left, and we started looking through the menu. All of this cost so much. I laid the menu down, and Demi gave me a worried look. "What's wrong?"

"It all costs money," I answered.

"Well, yeah," Demi said with a slight giggle.

"And I don't have money."

She frowned. "Avery, do you think I'm expecting you to buy your own food?" I just shrugged. "Do you know what I meant by adopt? Avery, you will legally be my daughter once everything is settled," she explained.

My eyes got a little wider. "Really?"

She nodded. "And I promise to never hurt you. You will have everything you need, and more."

"I just don't want to be a burden," I said while lowering my head. She placed her hand under my chin and gently made me look up.

"You will never be a burden. Do you understand?" I nodded. She gave me a soft smile. "Now pick what you want to eat."

Demi's POV

Once we were done eating, we left the restaurant and went back home. I let her get dessert, and she loved the brownie. The look on her face when she took the first bite was so cute!

What she said before we had our food broke my heart. Her mother is so cruel to make Avery think she'd be a burden. That woman disgusts me.

We got home, and I lead Avery inside. "I'll work on cleaning out the guest bedroom tomorrow, and then we can go get stuff to make it your bedroom," I said. Avery just smiled. She was so cute!

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I asked. She nodded, and I lead her to my Disney movie collection. She picked out Beauty and the Beast, one of my favorites.

I wish she felt comfortable enough to snuggle up with me, but I knew it would take a while if it was ever going to happen at all. As we watched the movie, Avery struggled to stay awake. I watched as she fought and fought, but tiredness eventually took over. I turned the movie off, and put a blanket over her. I kissed my hand, then gently placed it on her forehead.

I made it back up to my room, and I laid on my bed. All of the events that occurred today flew through my head. It seemed to all happen so quickly. Thank God she didn't leave with her mother.