Thirty-Five: Asleep

Demi's POV

I was currently sitting in a hospital room next to the bed Avery was peacefully sleeping on. It's been four days, and she still hasn't woken up. They've been having to tube feed her. She's on life support. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was dead.

But she's not. She's going to get better. She's going to pull through.

That's what I kept telling myself.

I hear a knock on the door, and my eyes light up.

"Wilmer?" I ask with a smile creeping on my face. The first one in what felt like forever. He enters the room and sits next to me.

"Hey."

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

We haven't dated in quite awhile, but we're a still on pretty good terms. It was careers that split us apart.

"I heard that you were in the hospital. I got worried." He looked over at Avery. "I thought you were hurt. I didn't know anything about a little girl."

"Yeah, I started taking care of her a few months ago."

I stared at the sleeping child, and I felt a limp in my throat.

"She's a great kid."

"What happened?" Wilmer asked.

"Her, um, her mother. She's a terrible woman. She found a way to get her back."

"Oh," Wilmer said. "You are really close to this little one."

I looked away from Avery to look at him. "Yeah, I am."

He nodded. "If you need me to look after her while you get rest, I'll be happy to."

I shook my head. "No, I need to be here when she wakes up."

"I'll go get you food," he said, standing up.

"No, I really am fine."

He looked at me with doubt. "When's the last time you ate?" He asked. I looked away, knowing he wouldn't like my truthful answer. "I'll be right back."

I was left alone with my sleeping princess again. I ran my hand through her dirty hair. I felt my eyes getting teary. I couldn't help but think, what if she won't get better? But I knew I couldn't think like that. I can't give up on her.

Soon, Wilmer came back with a few sandwiches he got from the hospital cafeteria. "Thanks," I said, taking one from him.

"How are you really doing?" He asked seriously.

"This is killing me," I admitted. "I can't stand to see her so lifeless."

"She'll pull through," Wilmer comforted with a hand on my leg. "She looks to be a strong little girl. She can do this. We just have to be patient."

I nodded, and looked back at Avery. "I just wish she'd hurry up and get better sooner."