Fourteen: First Night

Demi's POV

As I finished the rest of my work, Avery sat quietly. I kept trying to start a conversation, but she wouldn't talk. I started to pack up all of my papers. "Ready to go?" I asked.

"Go where?" She asked nervously.

"You're coming home with me tonight," I said, holding out my hand. "Unless you wanted to go somewhere else." She shook her head and took my hand. The almost hour long car ride was quiet. She stared out the window the whole time. I kind of wish I knew what was going through that little head of hers. I decided to wait until the weekend to take care of her mother. There is no way she is getting away with what she did to little Avery. The next day will be Friday, and then we can take care of all of that.

"Are you hungry?" I asked as we entered the house. She shrugged and looked around, examining the house. I lead her into the kitchen and made a couple of turkey sandwiches. I gave one to Avery, and she thanked me. She ate it rather slowly and carefully. I bet she's pretty nervous. I would be, too.

"Do you like Disney?" I asked as I lead her to the living room. She slightly smiled as she nodded. I turned on the TV to Disney Channel, and went to clean up the kitchen. It wasn't that much. I came back to see Avery's eyes glued to the TV. She had a small smile on her face, which put one on mine.

Avery's POV

Ms. Lovato gave me dinner and let me watch TV. I haven't talked much tonight. I'm just scared of saying the wrong thing and making her hate me like my mom does.

"How about you take a shower before bed?" Ms. Lovato suggested. I nodded and stood up. She showed me the bathroom, and how her shower works. She had warm water. It felt so much better than cold water. When I turned the water off, she knocked on the door, making me jump slightly. I made sure the towel was wrapped around me well before letting her in. "You can sleep in this," she said, handing me an over sized shirt. "I'll wash your clothes tonight so you can wear them tomorrow, okay?" I nodded and handed her my clothes. She shut the door, and I put on the shirt. It was so long. I couldn't help but giggle when I saw myself in the mirror. I left the bathroom to see Ms. Lovato putting sheets into her couch. "I have a guest bedroom, but it is so packed with stuff. The bed doesn't have room on it. Is it okay if you sleep on the couch tonight?" She asked. I nodded and slightly smiled.

I laid on the couch, and Ms. Lovato put a blanket over me. "Are you warm enough?" She asked. I nodded. I haven't been tucked in since before my mom started drinking again. "Good night," she said.

"Good night," I responded. She smiled, and I did the same. On her way out, I sat up. "Ms. Lovato?"

She turned around to face me. "Yes?"

"Thank you."

She smiled. "You're welcome, sweetie."

I laid back down and she turned the light off.

I tried to sleep, but I kept waking up. I kept having a dream that my mom came back, and she was really mad. I didn't want to bother Ms. Lovato, so I just stayed awake in bed.

She's really nice. I feel like she is what my mom should be.

3k reads already?!?! AND 14 comments on the last chapter! Y'all are AWESOME!

Thank you sooo much!

Love you!