Twenty-One: Back to School

Avery's POV

I love the room Demi set up for me. It's full of my favorite color. Pink! I don't think I've ever had so much stuff at once. I was worried at first, but Demi assured me that she didn't mind. I just don't want to be an inconvenience.

It was a great weekend. The best I've ever had! We watched TV together every night. I've been wanting to sit closer, but I don't want to be awkward about it. I don't want Demi to dislike me.

"Avery, sweetie, you need to wake up. We need to get ready for school," I heard Demi's voice. I opened my heavy eyes. Mondays are so tiring. She smiled down at me, and I did to her. She's so nice.

I got dressed in one of my new outfits. It was a lot more comfortable than the other clothes. I looked at myself in the mirror. My leggings went down to my ankles, and I had a lacy white shirt that was short sleeved. I still had bruises on my arms where Mom had grabbed me hard. Good thing it's chilly outside. I grabbed my jacket, but didn't put it on yet. I went down to the kitchen, where Demi was pouring cereal. She poured the milk in with it, and handed a bowl to me.

"Thank you," I said.

"You are very welcome."

After we ate, I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, then brush my hair.

"Um, Ms. Demi?" I asked nervousley.

"Sweetie, you don't have to call me Ms. Demi. Demi is just fine," she responded. "And yes?"

"Um, can you... Nevermind," I said putting my head down.

She came over and kneeled in front of me. "You can ask me anything."

"Um, can you help me braid my hair?" I asked timidly.

She smiled at me. "Of course. Why were you so nervous to ask?"

"I didn't want to waste your time," I said quietly.

She lifted up my chin to look at her. "How many times do I have to tell you, Avery? You aren't going to waste my time." She smiled, and her words made me feel better.

She braided my hair, and we finished getting ready for school. We put on our jackets and headed out the door to her car.

We went into the classroom, and we were earlier than everyone else. Demi took her jacket off. "It's warm in here today," she said. I nodded. "You still have your jacket on. Aren't you hot?" I quickly shook my head. She walked over to me. "Avery, are you nervous about showing your bruises?" I nodded slowly. "Honey, you can't get in trouble for that anymore."

"I know, but they're ugly," I responded.

"Avery, nothing about you is ugly," she said, tucking my hair behind my ears. "You are a little cutie." She smiled, which made me feel better. I took off my jacket and sat in my desk, waiting for the rest of the class to show up.

A little slower update this time. It's been busy and stressful.

Thank you so much for your support!