Fifteen: Mother's Return

Demi's POV

"Avery, Avery," I spoke softly as I gently woke her up. She tiredly rubbed her eyes. It seemed like she didn't get much sleep, and I understand. The day before was stressful. "Come on, we have to get ready for school." She nodded tiredly and sat up. She went into the restroom as I started making both of us peanut butter toast. When she came out, she joined me in the kitchen. "Last day of school for the week," I said, trying to keep this less awkward than what it seems. She weakly smiled as she ate her toast.

After we ate, I gave her the clothes I washed the night before. She changed in the restroom as I got dressed myself. I always keep unused toothbrushes in the main bathroom, so she was able to brush her teeth. I let her use one if my hairbrushes. She didn't talk much.

We arrived at school rather early. She read one of the class books as I set everything up for the day.

She barely spoke the whole day.

The final bell rang, and the kids packed up. "Have a great weekend," I called out to my students. Avery started to leave with them. "Avery," I said, making her turn around. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I thought..." She trailed off.

I smiled. "I know you aren't going back to your mom." I started putting my papers away. "You don't deserve to be treated like that."

She came back and sat in a desk as I finished up. About fifteen minutes later, her mother showed up in the doorway. "Avery, come on, I've been waiting out there for a while now."

Avery looked back and forth between me and her mother. "Excuse me?" I asked.

"Um, I'm picking up my daughter," she responded sarcastically.

"You agreed yesterday that you'd leave this child alone."

Her mother laughed. "You thought I was serious? I was just taking that as an opportunity for a break. Avery, come on."

Avery slowly started to stand up. "Avery, sweetie, sit back down."

"Who is the mother here?" She asked with her hands on her hips. "You can't tell her to disobey her Mom."

"You are no Mom," I snapped. "A real Mom can't hurt their kid the way you do. Avery is not going back home with you."

Her mother sarcastically laughed. "You really think you have the right to judge my parenting?" She walked over to Avery, and I headed for her aswell. I made it to the little girl, who was now standing, and protectively moved her behind me. "Give me my kid."

"You aren't taking her."

"Let's leave it up to the child," her mother suggested. "Avery, who would you like to go home with?"

Her mother gave her the most terrifying, deathly stare I had seen. Avery slowly crept out from behind me. "Avery," I said quietly. She stared at me as she walked to her mother.

No.

Her mother smiled as she took Avery's hand.

My heart dropped as they walked out of the room.

Then I heard the child's voice. "Let go of me!"

Cliffhanger!

I'm probably not going to be able to update daily for much longer. I'll still update frequently, but bit as often as usual.