Twenty-Four: Doctor's Office

Demi's POV

I woke up around the same time the doctor's office opened. Avery was still asleep. I called the doctor's office to see if I could get an appointment for Avery today. She just seems like she isn't feeling well. I want to get her checked to make sure she isn't sick.

I was able to get an appointment in, and it was going to be in about an hour. I decided to go ahead and get Avery up and start getting ready. I went into her room and saw the sleeping little girl. She was so peaceful, like she had no fear in the world as she slept.

I kneeled by her and stroked her face. "Avery," I said softly. She stirred slightly. "Come on, honey, you need to wake up." She scrunched her nose up and yawned.

She rubbed her eyes as she sat up. "My throat hurts," she said in a voice that was almost gone.

"I know, we are going to take care of that. Let's get ready." I helped her out of bed. "I'll be making breakfast. Go ahead and get dressed."

I left her to get breakfast ready. It was just scrambled eggs and peanut butter toast. Avery came in after a while. She looked exhausted.

"I can't breath through my nose," she said with a sniffle.

"We can get that taken care of, too."

"How?"

"We're going to the doctor's office. He can give you medicine to help you."

"I'm not hurt," Avery said. I gave her a confused look. "I only go to the doctor's when I'm hurt really bad."

"Well, you can go when you're sick, too."

"But I'm not sick. I'm fine." Right when she said that, she went into a coughing fit. She held her throat. "Ow."

We finished breakfast, then finished getting ready. I lead a tired Avery out to the car. She fell asleep on the way to the doctor's office. Once we got there, I picked her up, trying not to wake her, but she woke up anyway with a groan. She allowed me to continue carrying her into the building. She was worse today than she was yesterday. I signed us in, then sat in one of the waiting chairs. It didn't take too long to get called back. Avery kept her face hidden in my hair. I could tell she was nervous.

"The doctor will be with you shortly," the nurse said. Once she left, Avery lifted her head.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm scared," Avery admitted.

"Of what, honey?" I asked.

"I don't know them."

"They won't hurt you. They're going to help you. I'm not leaving," I explained. She nodded. A while later, the doctor came in, and Avery hid her face in my hair again.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Hilton. Is this Avery?"

Avery didn't speak, so I did for her. "Yes ma'am, this is Avery."

"I hear Avery isn't feeling well."

"Do you want to talk to the doctor so she can help you?" I asked Avery. She just shook her head, keeping her face hidden and her hands gripped my shirt. "She told me this morning she has a sore throat. She also has a stuffy nose, a cough, and more allergies symptoms. I just want to get her checked out to make sure it's nothing too major."

The doctor scribbled notes down as I spoke. "Alright, well if we could get her to sit right up here," she said, patting the bed.

I carried her over to the bed and sat her down. She didn't want to let go of me. "You'll be okay," I whispered into Avery's ear. I got myself out from her grip and let her continue to hold my hand. She didn't look up at the doctor, she just kept her glare at the floor. The doctor did the usual checkup, all the time Avery was as stiff as a board. She barely moved. The doctor checked Avery's temperature.