Thirty-Nine: Storms

Avery's POV

Not long after I went to bed, it started storming. I was sat up in my bed, shaking. I know it's nothing to be scared of, but I don't like the loud thunder. The noisy rumbles make me nervous.

I wanted to get up and run to Demi's room, but I couldn't. I couldn't get myself to do it. She cares for me, and she wouldn't hurt me. I know that. But something just held me back.

So I stayed put, frightened of the loud and bright action going on outside.

When morning came, it was still raining, but not as hard. I decided it was safe to try to go to sleep. The sun was already rising, and I wanted to at least get a little sleep.

Demi's POV

I woke up before Avery did. I decided to make her favorite breakfast: pancakes. I'm pretty fond of them, too.

After they had been done for a while, Avery was still asleep. I went to her room, and she was still fast asleep. She never sleeps in like this, but I know it takes a lot of rest for her to recover.

At around 10:30, I decided it was time for her to get up. I sat on her bed and looked at her. She was so peaceful, so care free. That's what I wanted for her, to feel safe again.

That all went away when I placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. She flinched as her eyes shot open, and her breathing hitched.

"It's okay, it's just me," I said softly.

She looked at me for a moment, then looked away, like she was afraid of making eye contact with me.

"Breakfast is waiting. I made pancakes."

She followed me down into the kitchen. "I'll have to re-warm them," I told her.

She waited at the table patiently as I waited for the microwave to beep, letting me know it was done.

I brought the two plates to the table, and I started eating. Avery nibbled again, but she eventually finished her pancake.

"So, I have to go back to work tomorrow," I brought up after taking care of the dishes. "Do you want to try coming back to school? It's okay if you want to wait."

She thought for a minute, then shrugged.

"If you don't want to go back yet, I'll have to arrange for someone to watch you, but I have to go to work."

This time, she didn't respond at all. I wished I knew what was going through her mind. What was she thinking about?

I decided to drop the subject and ask her again later.