Forty-Three:Thoughts

Avery's POV

I don't like school anymore. I used to go to get away from my mother. It was where I went to feel safe, but now it's different. Most kids don't like schools because they don't like their work, but I have a completely different issue. The work is the least of my problems. My mother wants me back, and she's going to do everything she can to steal me away from Demi. She wants me dead, and I have a feeling that she hasn't given up yet.

I don't know what I did. I don't know why she hates me. Yes, I told on her, but I covered for her for so many years, and she was making it impossible to keep the big secret. I don't know why she hurt me in the first place. Other kids have parents who love them, and would do anything to protect them from danger. Their moms could take away all of their fears. Mine was my biggest fear, and she still is.

Why? What did I do? Why am I such a terrible daughter?

I wish I were never born.

Demi's POV

It's so hard not seeing Avery smile anymore. She used to be so happy. Her laugh was the cutest and most heartwarming thing on earth. She had the most precious smile. The way her eyes lit up when she saw something she liked was so adorable. She gave the biggest and sweetest hugs.

And now all of that is gone. Her mother took all of that away. We're back to the beginning, but it seems worse this time. She's more scared, more timid. She never wants to leave my side, which makes school a little difficult. She never laughs, never giggles. I hardly get a smile, and when I do, it's so little that it's barely existent.

It breaks my heart. She doesn't deserve to live in fear and in pain. I don't know what was wrong with her mother. Her mother doesn't deserve an amazing little girl such as Avery. That kid has done nothing. She's the best daughter someone could ask for. The only thing is the fear, in which her mother instilled in her.

The world doesn't make sense. Bad things happen to the best people. It's not fair.

But I'm here for Avery, in whatever she needs. I'll do anything for this little girl. I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not letting her out of my sight again.

64k reads?!?! WOAH!!

Also, wordsweneversaid nominated this book for a Lovatic Fanfiction Award, which is so kind and sweet, so thank you very much. You're so amazing in so many different ways!