Sixty-Six:Fights

Avery's POV

I heard the front door open and close. I had been waiting all night for Momma to get home. I hopped out of bed and ran to my door, which was already cracked open, but stopped when I heard them talking.

"I can't stay long. I leave on a business trip tomorrow, remember?" Dad said.

"Oh yeah. Aww, I just got here."

"I know," Dad said, sounding a little angry. "Maybe we would've had some more time together if you weren't gone so much."

"What?" Momma responded. "Wait a minute, my job is not the only one that requires traveling. You leave quite a bit, too."

"Not nearly as much," Dad said. "See this, this is exactly why I didn't want to start again."

"What are you talking about? You're the one who asked to start again," Momma came back, talking a little louder.

I sat on my floor by the door, still listening.

"It hasn't even been that long, and we're starting to have our old issues come back. Demi, I can't do this."

"You don't think I miss you, too?" Momma asked. "And Avery. When you have trips, Avery misses you so much."

"She misses you when you're gone, Demi. Do you really want her to grow up without her mom around? You want her to be one of those celebrity kids?"

"She needs a dad, too. I am not the only one going away sometimes."

"Then what am I supposed to do?" Dad asked, getting even more angry. "You want me to just drop my job so I'm here all of the time? That's not fair! Why is your job more important than mine?"

"I never said my job was more important. Not once did I say that."

"It's late and I have to leave tomorrow. I have to go," Dad said.

I heard the door open. "Call me when you land tomorrow?" Mom asked.

"I don't know," he said, slamming the door shut, making me jump.

By this time, I had a few tears rolling down my face. I didn't want them to fight. I didn't like the sound of it.

I crawled back into bed when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. As soon as I got back under the covers, my door creaked open and some light from the hall came through. I pretended to be asleep as I faced away from the door. Momma walked over to me and sat on the edge of my bed. As my eyes were closed, she ran her hand softly through my hair before kissing the side of my head and leaving. I wanted to jump up and hug her tightly as I had missed her so much, but I decided to let her think I didn't hear anything that had just been said.

They're both true. I miss both of them when they're gone, but I wouldn't want them to quit either of their jobs.

I just want us all to be happy again.

I think I might update daily until all parts are published. Would that be okay with everyone?