Twenty-Five: Medicine

Demi's POV

After we left the doctors, we stopped for ice cream. It was really good, but I think Avery enjoyed it more. I'm pretty sure she got more on her face than what actually made it to her mouth. Her hands were also messy because the ice cream kept dripping before she could eat it. I laughed at the final sight. "Come on, let's get you cleaned up before we leave." I held one of her sticky hands as we made our way to the ice cream shop's restroom. She first washed her hands, then I picked her up and set her on the sink counter. I wet a paper towel and started cleaning her face. It was quite sticky, but I managed to clean it all off. "Now you're nice and clean."

"Thank you," she said as I lifted her off the counter and put her onto the floor.

On the way home, I dropped off Avery's prescription at the pharmacy. They said it would only take about thirty minutes, so we just sat and waited.

"My throat still hurts," Avery mumbled. I picked her up and set her on my lap.

"I know. That's why we're here. We're going to get some medicine to help."

She ended up falling asleep, so when they called for me, I just picked her up and carried her. She woke up when I stood up, but she didn't protest me carrying her. I set her in the backseat, and she buckled herself in. I glanced in my rear view mirror as I drove to see she was asleep again. She was looking more and more like a seven year old. One that doesn't have anything to worry about because they're only a kid. That's the way all seven year olds should be.

Once we got home, I went to pick her up, but she was already awake and wanted to walk. I'm sure she was tired of being carried. I walked to the door with the medicine in one hand and one of Avery's hands in my other.

I got inside and read the instructions on the back of the medicine. She'll need one dose in the morning and one at night. I decided we could start that night. Thankfully they didn't give pills. I don't think she's ever had to try swallowing pills before. It was just a syrup that I'm sure tastes nasty. I guess we'll see tonight.

I sat on the couch watching TV with Avery, who still didn't feel good. Poor baby. After we ate dinner, it was time for her medicine. "Come on, it's time to take your medicine." I poured the syrup into the small measuring cap. I then gave it to Avery along with some water. She put it up to her face and scrunched her nose at the smell. "Just drink it really fast, then drink your water. It'll all be over before you know it." She poured the medicine into her mouth and scrunched up her face. "Drink the water, Avery," I encouraged. She gulped down her water, then let out a breath she had been holding.

"That was gross," she said.

"I know, but it's going to help."

"Was that like the stuff my mom used to drink?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. I had an idea of what it was, but I wasn't sure.

"She always drank this really nasty stuff that made her mean. Am I going to be mean now, Demi?" She asked with worry in her tone.

"No, no, this is nothing like that. This is medicine. It's going to help you feel better."

"Sometimes she said her drink helped her feel better."

"Well, that was different than this," I said, not really knowing how to explain it.

We watched TV for a little while before I decided it was bedtime.

Alright, if you insist. Here is the third update :)