Eleven: Suspicion

Demi's POV

She told me that she was okay. Is she telling the truth? Part of me says that she's lying, but the other part says she's just fine. That she's just a shy girl who scares easily. Maybe it's just part of her personality. I can't help but wonder, though.

The next day, Avery wasn't in the classroom when I got there. At first I thought she was just late, but she never showed up. At recess, I asked Jasmine where Avery might be.

Jasmine shrugged. "She's probably sick."

She's right. I'm just overreacting.

If she was sick, she must have been really sick. She didn't come for the rest of the week. Everyday, I went home worried about Avery. I'm just her teacher, but I still care. I'm just nervous.

Avery's POV

I've been in the basement for I don't know how long. I sleep most of the time. Mom hasn't come back down to get me. It's boring down here, but it's better than being around her. I'm also really hungry and thirsty. I don't know how much longer it would be. I should have just ran away that night. This would have never happened. I'm probably going to die down here. She was so mad at me. She kept hitting me, I thought she was going to kill me! I tried to apologize for lying, but she wouldn't stop. She's never been that upset with me. I've had to go to the hospital for stitches before, but she didn't hit me then as much as she did this time.

Finally, I hear the basement door open, and I back away into the corner. Mom comes down the stairs, and my heart races. What is she going to do?

"Well, do you want to just stay down here forever? Come on," she says. I slowly go upstairs and leave the basement.

"I'm leaving to work soon. You should eat something. You have school tomorrow."

"What day is it?" I ask. I didn't know.

"It's Monday now. Tomorrow will be Tuesday."

A week. I was down there for a week!

She left, and I ate a sandwhich. I took a shower, then went to bed. I had a massive headache, like I did the whole time I was in the basement.

Demi's POV

I went into the classroom Tuesday morning the next week. Avery was in there, and I felt relieved to see her.

"Glad to have you back. Where were you?" I asked.

"I was sick," she said quietly.

"Must have been bad to be out a full week."

"Yeah."

After her answer, I got a good look at her face. It was badly bruised and she had a new cut on her forehead. This time, it looked really deep. My heart dropped.

"Avery, where did you get those bruises from? And that cut looks bad."

"I was just playing around again."

The room filled up with kids, and I decided that the conversation could wait until after school. Someone was hurting her, I just know it.

Jasmine asked Avery the same questions I did, and received the same answers.

I tried to not focus on my worrying while I taught my class. It was hard, but I was able to teach the class a lot of material.

After my paperwork was filled out, I went to find Avery at the park.

"Hi," I said. She gave me a weak smile in response. "I think your cut is bleeding," I said as I dug in my purse for a tissue. She put her hand up to check, and I was right. She was bleeding. I handed her the tissue, and she kept it on her cut. "I have napkins in my car, I'll be right back." I went to my car and grabbed as many napkins as I could. I brought them back to Avery. "Honey, that looks like it needs stitches."

"It'll be okay," she said.

"How did you say you got it?"

"I fell while playing with my neighbor." She had to be lying.

"I think it was worse than that," I said. "Avery, does... Does your mom ever hurt you?" She frantically shook her head to tell me no. Her eyes were big with worry. "Are you sure? You can trust-"

"Nobody hurts me," she said quickly. "I-I'm just clumsy."

"I don't think I trust you when you say that."

"I'm fine, really."

The horn honked, and she started to run. "Avery, wait! Avery!" I called to her. She didn't respond. She just kept running to the car. As soon as she got in, they drove off.

God protect her.