Fifty-Seven:Mother's Visit

Demi's POV

Thankfully, we were able to sleep in the next morning. Our flight wasn't until the evening, so I let Avery sleep as long as she liked. It was a big day yesterday, and it wore me out. I know it tired her out even more. She's just a kid.

It was a around ten in the morning when I heard a scream from the door. "Momma!" Avery said as she ran towards me.

I sat up immediately. "What is it? What's wrong?" I asked on full alert. She pointed towards the door, where a figure was waiting. I recognized it as Avery's mother. I picked up my phone.

"No, wait! I-I just want to talk," her mother said.

"You need to stop stalking my daughter," I said sternly.

"I just want to talk. Please," she begged. I stared at her for a while with my phone in my hand, ready to call the police.

"I heard a scream," Amy said running into the room. "Excuse me," she said as she pushed passed Avery's mother. "Is everything okay?" She looked back at the lady. "Who's this?"

I sighed and put my phone down. "Avery, why don't you go with Ms. Amy for a bit?"

"No," she said as she squeezed my hand while staring at her mother.

"It's just for a little bit. I'm going to have a quick talk with your mother. Everything's going to be fine, Ms. Amy's going to take care of you," I assured her while handing her over to Amy. They walked off together while Amy was asking if she had eaten yet. I sat down on the bed and let the woman in. "What?" I asked.

"Listen, I know I messed up. I messed up a lot. But I'm getting better. I've been staying sober, I got out of jail early for good behavior. I'm working hard to become a real mother again," she rambled.

I honestly felt bad for the woman. She had dark circles under her eyes like she hadn't slept in months, but her eyes didn't hold the same anger they did the day I first met her. These new eyes were full of guilt, sorrow, and regret. She looked like such a mess, like she had dropped everything to get here as soon as possible. But I had to remember what she had done to my little girl.

"I know nothing I say will change what I did in the past, but I can tell you that I'm not the same woman I used to be. I've gotten help. The drugs and alcohol put that anger in me. They hurt my kid-"

"No," I interrupted. "No, you hurt that kid. You can't blame that on anything else. It was your decision to drink or take drugs. No one made you." She looked so pitiful as I lectured her. "You caused all of this for Avery."

"But I'm willing to make things right."

"Nothing will ever make this alright. You messed up too bad the first seven years of Avery's life. You can't get them back, and neither can Avery. You stole half of her childhood from her. That's not alright, and it will never be, no matter what." We both stayed silent for several minutes before I spoke again. "What did you want from me today?"

"I wanted to see if maybe I could have a second chance with my daughter."

I shook my head. "I'm not letting that happen to that kid. She's fine just where she is."

"I understand you've made a connection with her, but she is my daughter."

"Not anymore. I'm her legal guardian."

"That doesn't make you her mother. Avery needs her mother."

"Well I'm going to be the best damn mother I can be for Avery. And I can promise you I'll do a better job than you."

I could tell she was getting frustrated, but she was trying to hold her anger in. "I understand I'm not going to get her back."

"Good," I said with a nod.

"C-can I at least just see her?"

I hesitated before texting Amy saying she could bring Avery back. Once they came to the door, Avery froze, staring at her mother.

"It's alright, Avery, come here," I said with open arms, but she refused to walk past her mother.

"My baby, you've grown so much," he mother said while walking towards her. Avery scooted back into Amy, who wrapped a protective arm around her. "Can I have a hug?" She asked.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I said as Avery shook her head.

Her mother looked back at me with tears in her eyes. "Thank you. I'll be going now." She looked at Avery again. "Honey, I want you to know I'm sorry. And I hope you have a great life growing up. Come visit if you want." Avery didn't respond. Instead, she hid her face in Amy's arm. Her mother left, and Avery ran straight to me. I hugged her tightly.

"What have I told you about answering the door?"

"I thought it was room service," she said.

"Did you order something?"

"No."

"Room service doesn't just bring you food all of the time. You have to request it, like at a restaurant," I explained.

"Oh," she responded. "Sorry."

I smiled and hugged her again. "I think we'll be okay now, Avery."