Forty-Five:Date Night

Demi's POV

Wilmer was right on time with picking us up. Seven o'clock exactly. I grabbed my purse and walked with Avery out the door. She held my hand tightly as we walked to Wilmer's car. I could tell she was nervous. I opened the back door for her, and she crawled in.

"Sit with me?" She asked in a whisper.

I nodded with a soft smile. "Of course."

I closed the door and went to the other side of the car, opening the other back door. "Avery's a little nervous, do you mind me sitting back here with her?" I asked Wilmer, knowing I was going to sit back there whether he liked it or not.

"Go ahead," he replied with a smile.

I sat next to Avery as Wilmer drove to the restaurant he had picked out. Wilmer and I made conversation, but Avery was silent the whole time. I noticed her knee bouncing nervously, so I placed a gentle hand on her leg. She relaxed a bit and gave me a small smile.

We soon arrived at the restaurant, which was very nice. It was quite fancy, the first fancy one Avery had been to I'm guessing. Wilmer got out of his seat ad opened the door for Avery, holding out his hand for her to take. She looked at me nervously, and I nodded and smiled.

"Go ahead," I encouraged, but she shook her head and continued to stare at me.

Wilmer got the hint and came over to my side, opening my door and helping me out. "Thank you," I said with a big smile. I went over to Avery's side and helped her out of the car. She grasped my hand tightly as we entered the restraurant.

Once she entered, her eyes grew huge. She looked around at all of the decor in the building. Wilmer had made reservations for us, so we were seated rather quickly. Although Avery was in awe, she was still paranoid. She still stayed very close to me, looking around frequently to see if anyone was suspicious.

We sat at our table, and started looking through the menu.

"You two look beautiful tonight," Wilmer said, making eye contact with me before flashing Avery a smile. She shied away from his glance.

"Thank you, Wilmer. You look great tonight, too," I responded. We exchanged looks and went back to our menu. I helped Avery pick out what she wanted and ordered for her when the waiter came.

All night I tried to make conversation with Avery, but she continued to remain silent. I couldn't get a word out of her. Wilmer tried, too, but she refused to even make eye contact with him. She was just too nervous.

When we got home, Wilmer walked us up to the door. "Go ahead and get ready for bed, honey," I told Avery. She nodded and made her way inside. "Wait, say good bye first," I told her. She looked back and waved quickly before running inside.

I sighed and crossed my arms, turning back to Wilmer.

He smiled. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"I was hoping she'd be okay tonight," I said.

"Hey, she is okay. She's just a little shy, I get it."

"A little shy?" I questioned.

He chuckled. "I didn't mind."

"She really is a sweet kid. She just has to get comfortable first. She's been through a lot," I explained.

"I know."

"I had fun tonight, though," I said with a smile, which he returned.

"I did, too. We should get together again soon."

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for tonight."

"My pleasure. Good night."

I went inside with butterflies in my stomach. He's such a great man.

I went to Avery's room to check on her. I knocked on her door, but received no answer. I knocked again. "Avery?" I heard a very quiet sniffle come from the other side. I slowly opened her door. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

Sorry for the long wait for this update. I've had some issues I've had to work through recently.

Thanks for reading.