Twenty: Bedtime Stories

Avery's POV

Demi is such a nice person. She's different than what all of my other teachers were like. Demi actually cared enough to do something. I'm really happy I decided to not go back with my mom, but I'm also still scared. If she comes back, she'd kill me. I just know it.

I loved the shopping trip. She let me pick out my own clothes. I was first worried about my bruises showing, but Demi helped me feel better. My cuts and bruises will heal eventually, anyway.

We picked something up on the way back to her house, and I got a hamburger and French fries. We ate our food once we got back to her house, and I thought it was really good. I like eating three meals everyday. I'm never hungry.

She showed me some card and board games that I had never played before. They were fun. That's what we did until it was time to eat again. She made chicken and rice. We watched a movie until it was time to go to bed. I followed her to the room that we had decorated just for me. I changed into some new pajamas, then brushed my teeth in the bathroom that was connected to the room. I crawled into bed, and Demi pulled the covers over me.

"Want a bedtime story?" She asked, picking up a book she had bought earlier. I nodded, and she opened the book. "Once upon a time, there was a princess named Cinderella." I loved the story. After a while, I had drifted off into a deep sleep to the sound of her soft voice.

Demi's POV

Avery is the most adorable little girl. I read her a story until she fell asleep. It was the story of Cinderella. She had picked it out because she thought the dress she was wearing on the cover of the book was pretty. Once I knew she was asleep, I closed the book and put it on her night stand. I kissed my hand and placed it on we forehead. She didn't react. She was in a deep sleep. I stood up and turned off her light. I left to go to my room and got myself ready for bed. Once my head hit the pillow, I was out. I was so tired.

The next morning, I woke up around nine o'clock. I went to check on Avery, and she was still fast asleep. I went into the kitchen, and decided to make pancakes. About fifteen minutes later, Avery poked her head into the kitchen. She seemed nervous, like she was unsure if she was allowed into the kitchen. I smiled at her. "Come on in." She slowly came in and sat on a chair by the counter. She watched as I made the pancakes. "Want to help?" She shook her head. "Why not?"

"I'll just mess them up," she responded.

"That's okay. That's why you learn. You can't learn if you don't try." I waved her over, and she came to me. I let her pour some of the batter on the pan, and I showed her how to flip the pancakes. "I'm sure these are going to turn out great."

After they were done, I plated some for the both of us. "Syrup?" I asked. She nodded, and I poured her some. She took a bite, and she smiled. "These are good. Great job, Avery."

She smiled and took another bite. After she was done, I had to help clean her face from the sticky syrup. I told you, she's absolutely adorable!

You don't know how much your sweet comments mean to me! Thank you so much for the support! I'm so glad you like this story!