Forty-Two: "Love You, Too"

Avery's POV

School's been hard this week. It's hard to concentrate. Demi will go over the lesson again when we get home, but I feel like I'm inconveniencing her. She has her own work she needs to get done. She's having to do that and give extra help to me. She says I catch on quickly, but there's a lot to get caught up on. Not being able to concentrate makes it even tougher.

I daydream a lot. And it scares me.

What if Mom finds me again?

She'd kill me for sure.

Except at this point, I'm not sure what would be worse: dying, or living with constant fear and memory of pain.

Sometimes I wish the police hadn't found me. It was finally getting peaceful in that basement. I had fallen asleep, and Mom was leaving me alone. I hadn't eaten in so long that I became used to the hunger pains. I was close to death. Just a little while longer, and I would have had peace forever.

But now I have dreams. I have fears. I have haunting memories. It would have been better if I had just died.

"Avery, Avery," I heard Demi speaking.

"Hmmm?" I asked, snapping out of my thoughts and back into reality. We were watching TV together on a Saturday night.

"It's getting late. We should head to bed." I nodded and yawned. "What were you thinking about?"

I answered with a shrugg. "Nothing," I said quietly.

"Are you sleeping with me tonight?" She asked, and I nodded. "Alright, come on then."

I'm glad Demi let's me sleep with her. I get really bad dreams sometimes, and it's comforting when I wake up to the sound of her soft and caring voice. I swore I wouldn't get attached again, but I found myself feeling safer in her arms.

I haven't called her Momma again yet. I don't know if she can protect me from my mother. I don't know if anybody can.

We got dressed for bed and brushed our teeth.

"Goodnight, Princess. I love you," Demi said before turning off the bedside lamp.

"Love you, too," I mumbled unexpectedly. This made Demi pull me closer to her, and I couldn't help but snuggle up. I really missed this. Maybe it is okay that they found me.

Demi's POV

It's the last day before another school week starts. I had been getting Avery and myself caught up on everything, even on Saturday. I decided that today, we could just relax and enjoy ourselves.

The sweetest thing happened last night. After our regular night routine, Avery told me that she loved me. Then she snuggled into me. I'm gaining her trust again, which I'm so happy about. I'm glad she's getting comfortable again. I just wish we could go back to how it was before she was taken. She had become care free, but now she's constantly watching over her shoulder to make sure no one is going to try to take her away again. I've caught myself doing the same thing, having a closer eye on Avery. I wouldn't ever forgive myself if I let her get taken again. I'm still mad at myself for this past time.

And keeping a closer eye on me is Wilmer. He just all of a sudden showed up again, and now he's staying. I wonder how long it will last before our lives have to be split up again.