Twelve: "Are you okay?"

Avery's POV

My mom almost got caught. Ms. Lovato is really suspicious. No matter what I told her, she wouldn't believe me. What if Mom finds out? I have to find a way to convince Ms. Lovato that I'm okay.

But I'm not okay. I want to be, but I can't. I want to tell about how Mom hits me, and how I don't feel safe. But I'm too scared.

The next day, I avoided Ms. Lovato. I felt bad for doing that, but I couldn't let her find out my secret.

After school, I waited at the park like I usually did, but at a different bench. I was hoping she wouldn't find me, but she did. "Avery, you're acting very strange today," Ms. Lovato told me. I just shrugged in response.

"It's getting colder. Snow will be falling soon," she said, trying to start a conversation. I just nodded. "Avery, look at me please." I slowly lifted up my head, and looked into her eyes. They were filled with sympathy. "Are you sure you're okay?" I nodded. "I don't think I believe you." I looked back down, trying to think of something to say. "If someone is hurting you, tell me. You don't have to live with that."

I shook my head and looked back up at her. "My mom loves me. She would never hurt me." Right then. My mom pulled up. "Bye." I left without another word from either of us. Once I got into the car, I felt awful. I had another chance to say something, and I didn't say anything. Ms. Lovato seems so caring, like she's actually worried, and I'm always lying.

"I won't be late picking you up anymore," Mom said.

"Why?" I dared to ask.

"I lost my day job. Boss was a bitch," she scoffed. "So you tell that teacher of yours that she doesn't need to watch over you anymore."

I nodded. Part of me still wished she would still be late. It meant less time with Mom. But at least it won't be so hard keeping my secret from Ms. Lovato.

The next day, I didn't say a word until the last bell ended. "My mom is picking me up when school let's out now," I told Ms. Lovato.

"Oh?" She questioned.

I nodded. "She switched shifts at work," I lied. "I should go." I didn't want Mom to get mad at me for coming out late.

"Avery?" Ms. Lovato stopped me right before I left the room. I turned to face her. "I have to stay here until at least five to finish up paper work everyday. If your mom can't pick you up on time anymore for some reason, come by, okay?" I nodded, then left.

I got into Mom's car, and she drove us home. She almost immediately left for her night job. I still have no idea what she does. She won't tell me.

She came home mad again. The sound of broken glass woke me up. I looked outside of my room to see her throwing almost empty glass bottles at the wall. When she stopped, she started to sob. I went to her, against my better judgement.

"Momma?" My heart raced as I spoke. Will she get mad at me?

"The world is an evil place, Avery," she said, not looking up. "It never gives you a break. Do you know how it feels to constantly live in pain?" She asked.

After a small pause, I answered. "Yes."

She looked up at me in anger. "You don't know how good you have it. Do you want to know what pain feels like? I'll show you. Do you want me to show you?" I quickly shook my head to tell her no. "Go back to bed."

I ran back to my room and jumped in bed. I heard the sound of her cleaning up the broken glass as I tried to fall back to sleep. If she says I have it good, I don't want to know what bad is.

Next chapter will be very important. Should I update twice today?