Seven: Waiting at the Park

Demi's POV

The next day, Avery acted the same. She wouldn't let anyone see her face. She started getting picked on by other kids at recess. Some of the kids went to the tree she always sits under, and I decided to see what was going on.

"Why do you hide half of your face all of the time?" One boy asked.

"It's because she doesn't want anyone to see how ugly she is!" A little girl yelled out.

"Hey hey hey, let's be nice," I said, breaking up the children. Avery didn't react. She just sat there with her head low. "Apologize," I told them.

"Sorry," the girl said with a grin on her face. They giggled as they left, and I sat next to Avery. I heard her sniffle.

"Don't listen to them. People can be mean." I got a nod from her, but she didn't speak or look up.

She didn't come by my classroom after school, so I checked outside. She wasn't there. Her mom must have been right when she said she wouldn't be late anymore. I decided to leave earlier, but on my way home, I came up on a park with a recognizable person sitting on a bench. Of course, it was Avery. I stopped the car and rolled down the window. "Avery, are you alone?" She nodded. "I thought your mom picked you up earlier."

"She told me to wait for her here," Avery responded. I parked my car and walked over to the bench she was sitting on. "I'm okay."

"It's more dangerous to be alone here than at the school." She shrugged. "Do you mind if I wait with you?"

"Mom said she'd be here soon, and that I'll be fine by myself."

"Avery, I don't think this is very safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving you here all by yourself."

"Why do you care?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I was caught off guard by that question.

"I'm just another student."

"I care for all of my students. It's part of a teacher's job."

"Only at school."

"Yes, but I can't help but worry when I see a child waiting alone."

She looked up at me with a small smile. "Thanks," she whispered. Then a part of her hair fell from in front of her face, and I saw a small cut. I knew I only saw a little. I reached out to move her hair from her face, but she flinched back and put her hands up.

"It's okay," I said softly. She slowly lowered her hands. "Avery, is that a cut on your forehead?" Her eyes became huge as she put her hand over her cut. She positioned her head so her hair was back in her face. "Where did that come from?"

"I was playing with my neighbor, and I fell down and hit my head. I'm okay."

"Why are you hiding it?"

"I didn't want anyone to see it. It's ugly." She mumbled the last part.

"But the rest of your face is so pretty. Don't hide it."

I got a small smile from her, and we continued to talk. She wasn't so focused on hiding her face anymore.

After a while, a car pulled up and her mother honked the horn. "I have to go," Avery said, quickly getting up and running to the car. She made sure her hair was over her cut again.

Avery's POV

I made sure I covered my cut before I got to the car.

"Was that your teacher again?" Mom asked.

"Yes."

"What did she want?"

"She said it isn't safe for me to be waiting by myself."

"Why should she care? She has to deal with kids all day, and she waits with you before going home? She makes no sense. What does she think is going to happen?"

"She said someone could take me."

"Well that would be a blessing to me," she chuckled.

Ouch.

Based on comments, you seem to like this story.