Eighteen: Dreams

Demi's POV

I got up super early to start cleaning out the guest bedroom. As I walked out of my room, I heard small whimpers. I looked into the living room, and Avery was sitting up with her face in her hands. I walked over and sat down next to her. I wrapped an arm around her, and she clenched as she quickly looked up at me fearfully. She relaxed slightly when she saw it was me. "Avery, what's wrong?"

"She came back," she said quietly, followed by a sniffle.

"What?" I asked, not quite sure what she was talking about.

"She came back for me, and took me away." She started sobbing again, and I pulled her close.

"She's not coming back," I assured her. "You're safe now. I promise." She was still a little stiff in my arms. I wish she would trust me more, but she had a terrible home before. I can't blame her for being terrified of contact from other people.

"Don't let her take me away," she cried.

"I won't," I whispered, trying to calm her down.

After another half hour of comforting, Avery finally stopped crying. She was really freaked out.

"I was going to start cleaning up the guest room, so we could turn it into your room. Want to help?" I asked. She nodded, and I lead her to the room. She looked around, and a small smile started to form. I don't really know why. It was a total mess. "I'll be right back." I left Avery as I went to get trash bags from the kitchen, then I returned. "This one is going to be for junk," I said holding up a bag. "This one is for storage, and this one will be for stuff I need to get rid of, but not throw away." She nodded, and we started. She asked me with every thing she picked up, and I told her which bag to put it in. She didn't seem to mind doing the work. We were halfway done when I heard her stomach growl. I smiled at her. "Are you hungry?" I asked with a giggle. She shyly smiled and nodded. I got up from where I was. "Come on, I'll make us breakfast." She slowly put her little had in mine, and I lead her to the kitchen.

"Ms.- um, I mean, Demi?" She stuttered.

I smiled. "Yes?"

"May I use the restroom?"

"Honey, you don't have to ask me. Just go when you need to go. Do you remember where it is?" She nodded, then left the kitchen. Several minutes later, she came back. "Did you wash your hands?" She nodded again, and watched as I cut up some fruit. I set a bowl of oatmeal in front of her with some fruit.

"Thank you," she said softly. I smiled. She has the sweetest voice.

We ate our breakfast together. She seemed to like it. We got busy back on the room, and it didn't take too much longer.

We took a little break and watched TV before going shopping. I took her to the mall, and once we got inside, her body got tense.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded, but her she clearly had a worried look on her face. I bent down to her level. "What's wrong?"

"There's so many people," she whispered, like she was afraid that someone might hear her speaking.

I looked around. I didn't even consider the amount of people would be at the mall on a Saturday. "No one is going to hurt you. They're just here to shop, like you and I." She nodded, and we held hands as we walked into the first store. "What color do you want most of your stuff to be?" I asked as we looked through bedding.

She smiled slightly. "Pink."

I smiled back at her. She's so cute.