Thirty-Eight: Christmas

Avery's POV

I'm scared. I don't know why, I just am. I should feel safe being back with Demi in her house, but I'm not. I don't feel safe. I don't feel safe anywhere. I'm always looking around, making sure no one is coming to get me.

Demi's worried, I know that. I feel kind of bad, but I can't help it. I'm too scared to act comfortable anymore.

"Want to eat dinner?" Demi asked. I shrugged, looking down at the floor. "I'll order your favorite, pizza. With the garlic crust." I still only shrugged. She called the pizza place to make an order while I just stood there, looking around.

There were lots of gifts, and I wondered what was in the wrapped boxes. I always got jealous of the kids at school. They always came back telling everyone about what the got for Christmas. I never got anything, but I lied whenever the teachers asked me what I got. I always said dolls.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, making me flinch. I moved away and saw it was just Demi. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I don't know why I thought it'd be someone else. I just got scared.

"I'm sorry I scared you," Demi said sadly. "The pizza will be here soon." She looked past me at all of the gifts. "Christmas passed, you slept through it. Do you want to open your presents?"

My heart jumped. I was never asked that before.

I followed her to the gifts, and she handed me one. I stared at it for a while.

"Go ahead, open it," she said softly.

I started to get excited as I slowly tore the wrapping paper. I haven't done this since my mother was sober, but we still didn't have much money, so even then I didn't get much.

I held the box with a Barbie inside. She had a pink dress and had a lot of accessories inside. I've always wanted a Barbie. A small smile crept on my face.

I looked up at Demi. "Thank you."

Demi's POV

"Thank you," Avery said quietly with a small smile on her face. Her eyes gleamed with happiness. That's what I have been waiting so long to see.

"You're absolutely welcome. I'm glad you like it."

She nodded and looked back down at the Barbie.

I handed her present after present. After each one, her smile grew. I suppose she's never had a very merry Christmas before.

The doorbell rang, startling Avery. Her happy eyes turned fearful once again.

"It's okay," I assured her. "It's just the pizza." I took the boxes and payed the delivery boy, giving a nice tip.

I brought it into the kitchen. There wasn't anywhere in the living room to put it.

I brought Avery to the table, and she nibbled on a slice. She was almost finished with it when she put it down.

"You're full," I asked. She nodded, rubbing her stomach. The doctor told me it would take a while to get her appetite back up. We'd just have to build slowly on it.

We went back to the living room, and I helped Avery take all of her new toys to her room. Her smile came back. We're getting somewhere, and that's good. It's just little steps at a time. She'll grow more comfortable as time goes on. I just had to keep believing that.