Forty: "Don't Leave"

Demi's POV

"Avery, the doctor said you have to take the medicine to help get your immune system stronger," I explained. Avery hid her face from me and refused to take the small cup of medicine. "I know it doesn't taste good, but it helps. Remember last time you were sick? The medicine helped."

She looked at me and pouted. "I don't like it."

I barely hear the sound of her voice anymore, so my heart jumped when she spoke.

"I know you don't, nobody does. But if you want to stay healthy, you have to take it. Look, it's not that much," I said, holding the little plastic measuring cup filled with children's medicine. It had to be liquid as the doctor didn't recommend pills for a child as young as Avery.

She slowly took the cup of medicine in one hand, and a glass of water in the other. She stared at the medicine for a moment.

"Just like last time. Drink it quick, and it will be all over soon."

She took my advice and quickly drank the medicine along with almost the whole glass of water.

"Good job," I said with a smile. I reached out for a hug, but she flinched and just stared at me. I was heart broken. I know she was terrified, but I just wish she wouldn't be so scared of me.

"Are you coming to school with me tomorrow?" I asked after a while. She nodded her head and yawned. "I guess we should be getting to bed, then."

Avery went to her room to get ready for bed as I did the same. I checked my phone, and I received a text from Wilmer.

"How's it going?" He asked.

"It's hard. But it's getting better," I replyed.

"Hang in there, I know you can do it."

He's such a sweet man.

I tucked Avery in as much as she would let me. She kept a look on her face like she was thinking really hard about something. Like she had a lot going through her mind.

"Good night, Princess. I love you," I told her before exiting the room.

I went to my room and sat down on my bed. I thought about how much everything changed. It made me quite sad. I just wanted Avery back, the care free little seven year old. My heart broke knowing how much pain she had gone through. So much that she's terrified of everything and everyone.

I just want my little princess back.

I felt a tear roll down my face. I wiped it away, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Avery standing in my doorway. Her eyes were filled with tears ready to spill.

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" I asked as I sat on my knees on the floor. Without saying a word, she ran into my room and straight into me. I wrapped my arms around her body as hers wrapped tightly around my neck. She started to cry as I rubbed her back.

"It's okay," I whispered.

"Don't leave me," she cried, her words muffled as her face was hidden in my neck.

"It's okay, baby, I'm right here." I stroked her hair with one hand as the other held her close to me.

"Don't let them take me again."

"I won't, honey. They're caught, they're in jail again. They're no where near here."

"Don't leave me alone." She continued to cry as I tried my best to comfort her. Her crying tore me apart. I hated to hear and see her like this. So fragile.

On the other hand, I was glad to have her trust again. It didn't take as long as I thought it would.

But I knew why she was scared. School's tomorrow, and she's not going to want to go anywhere I'm not. She was taken while at school.

I'm going to make sure that never happens again.