Sixty-Eight:Friends

Avery's POV

I tried calling Dad all day on Saturday. I think he thought it was Momma calling, because he never answered. It was making me worry and Momma very, very frustrated.

"You don't think anything bad happened, right?" I asked.

"Nope," Momma said, looking at her phone. "He's at his hotel. He posted on Instagram." She scoffed in disgust before tossing her phone on the couch beside her. I just sat there quietly, not sure what to do or say. I felt my face get warm as I was trying to hold back tears. She must have noticed because she looked at me in sympathy. "Come here," she said, opening her arms up. I ran to her. As soon as I was in her lap and her arms were wrapped around me, I let little sobs escape my mouth. Momma just stroked my hair and rocked me in her arms.

"I just wanted to have a real family like all the other kids," I said, my voice shaky from the crying.

"I know, baby. I'm sorry."

"But he won't stay. Not even for me." At that moment, I felt anger towards Dad. Should I even call him that anymore? He won't even answer the phone for me. I was the one leaving messages, and he wasn't calling back.

"He's just a little upset right now," Momma said.

"And you are, too," I said.

"Yeah, I am. But if I was somewhere else, I'd answer the phone just to talk to you."

"He doesn't want to see me anymore."

Momma sighed. "I'm sorry I messed this up, Princess. Wilmer still loves you like his own. He's just mad at me."

At that moment, Momma's phone rang. It was Wilmer! I answered it.

"Hello?" I asked, obvious that I was trying to stop crying.

"Hey, Princess," he responded.

"Why weren't you answering your phone?" I asked.

"Sorry, I was a little busy. Listen, it might be a while until we can see each other again. I just want you to know that I really, really care about you and your mom, okay?"

"Okay," I responded.

"Can I talk to your mom?"

I handed the phone to Momma. "Why don't you get ready for bed?" She asked before putting her phone up to her ear.

I ran upstairs and into my bathroom to start my bath.

Demi's POV

"Hey," I answered, clearly annoyed.

"Demi, I don't want to fight. I called to apologize."

"Really?" I asked, still irritated. "To who?"

"You. Listen, I know we both wanted this to work, but I can't figure out how it can. I want to still be there for you and Avery, but I can't get too involved. Our lives are way too busy," he explained. "I loved the friendship we had. I don't want anything to ruin it."

"Avery thinks of you as a dad, Wilmer."

"I'll be what she needs me to be."

"Well I haven't talked to her about it yet, but I think I'm going to see about her being homeschooled. That way she can come with me to places if she wants."

"I think that's best. Demi, please forgive me for this."

"I understand, Wilmer. It's best. But will Avery forgive you?"

To be honest, Avery is a very forgiving child. It's just something she really wanted, and now it's being taken away from her and it's not even her fault.

Okay, I had this all planned and drafted BEFORE they broke up in real life. Crazy, right?

Sorry this is bad, though. I'm not good at writing anything to do with romance lmao. Maybe I'll learn sometime how to write.