Six: Late Again

Avery's POV

I had to keep my head low all day. Mom gave me a big cut on my forehead last night, and I can't let anyone see it. After school, I waited outside on the steps again.

"Avery?" Why do I always jump at the voice? I turn to see Ms. Lovato.

"She's running a little late again," I say. "I'll be fine."

"Come on, you can't be out here by yourself."

I didn't want to argue and get in trouble, so I went with her back to the classroom.

"Why didn't you come to me if you knew she was running late again?"

"I didn't want to be in the way," I mumbled, but she still heard.

"Honey, you aren't going to be in my way. I just don't want you out there all alone. Something bad could happen. Is your mom going to be this late every day?" I shrugged. "If she is, tell me and I will stay with you." I nodded. Then she brought out the Paper from this morning. "This is really sweet what you wrote about your mom."

Time to bring out my fake smile.

The whole time we talked, I kept my head low enough for
my hair to hide my cut.

Someone came through the door, and I tensed up. "Thank you for watching my daughter again."

"It was no problem," Ms. Lovato responded.

"Sorry about yesterday, it was a bad day at work."

"I understand. I want you to know that Avery wrote a very sweet paper about you today."

"Aww she did?" My mom put her hand over her heart as Ms. Lovato handed her the paper. "Avery, this is so sweet," my mom said as she hugged me. I tried my best to not flinch away. My mom would get mad if I flinched in front of other people. "We should get going. I won't be late anymore, so no need to worry about Avery."

"Okay, have a good evening."

We went out to the car and Mom started to drive. "From now on, walk to the park around the corner. I'll pick you up there."

"Why can't I stay with-"

"You are starting this arguing thing too early. Just do what I tell you!" She yelled, making me flinch. We got home and I went to my room and waited for mom to leave. It didn't take too long. I once asked her what kind of job she does at night, but she told me that it was none of my business. She uses that answer a lot.

I was really hungry. I didn't have breakfast or lunch today. It's part of punishment. I went into the kitchen and looked for something to eat. I found a box of Cheerios in the back of the cubard, and decided to eat those while watching my shows. I made sure to throw the box away and hide it under all of the other stuff in the trash can. I took a shower, we only have cold water, and got ready for bed.