Thirty-Two: Taken

Demi's POV

I had to start doing Christmas shopping. It was almost here, and I haven't gotten anything for anyone. I've been so busy with Avery, I haven't gotten the chance to go shopping. I decided to do the majority online.

I started shopping online after I put Avery to bed. It didn't take too long before she came into the living room. I quickly saved whatever I was doing and put my laptop down. I looked back up at Avery, who was barely in the room, like she was afraid to come closer. I heard her sniffle a few times. "Avery, what's wrong?" She slowly came closer, and I notice her red eyes filled with tears. I saw the stains on her cheeks from the tears that had already fallen. "Come here, honey," I said, opening my arms. She sped up and walked right into my arms. "What happened?" She didn't answer. She just snuggled more into me with her face hidden in my hair. I rubbed circles on her back as she cried. After awhile, I picked her up and carried her to bed. I let her sleep with me that night. As soon as we were both laid down, Avery went back to sleep. I fell asleep soon after.

I woke up to my alarm going off. I drowsily shut it off, and felt Avery start to stir. "Morning, sweetie."

She rubbed her tired eyes. I sat up and stretched, then managed to get her out of bed. She never wakes up without a fight.

I got ready, then made two bowls of cereal. She came down, and we both started eating.

We finished getting ready, then got to the car with plenty of time to spare.

"So what happened last night?" I asked on the way to school. She wouldn't answer me. I tried to get an answer, but all of her replies were silent.

I parked the car in the school parking lot, then turned around in my seat to face Avery. "What's wrong? Why won't you talk to me?" She just shrugged. "You don't feel like talking this morning?" She shook her head. "Okay," I said, leaving it at that. I hoped she would come around as the day went on.

But she stayed silent. She wouldn't talk to anybody. I found it so weird.

There was no snow by the time lunch was over, and it was warm enough for the kids to have recess outside.

Avery's POV

She kept wanting me to talk, but I couldn't make myself. My dream last night scared me so much that I just couldn't build up enough courage to talk about it. I knew if I said anything, Momma would want me to tell her about the dream.

At recess, we were able to go outside. I sat under the tree that I always sit in. I know Momma kept looking over at me. After awhile, an argument broke out in the middle if the play ground, and she had to go break it up. I watched as the two kids kept yelling over one another about who got to the swing first.

Suddenly, I felt someone behind me, and before I had the chance to scream, I had a big hand over my mouth. I couldn't see who it was. I was being dragged away from the tree. Everybody's attention was on the other two kids, and I couldn't scream to get their attention. I struggled and struggled until I was thrown in a van. There was a second that I didn't have a hand over my mouth and the van door was open. I screamed as loud as I could before the door slammed shut, and the van started moving.

Demi's POV

I heard a scream. I looked over to where Avery was sitting, but she wasn't there anymore. I saw a van leave the school parking lot, and my heart sunk. I just knew Avery was in that van. I ran as fast as I could towards the gate in between the play ground area and the parking lot. By the time I got there, the van was no where in sight.

I don't know when I'll be able to update again. I'll be busy this weekend and next week. I'll try my best.