Eight: Flat Tire

Demi's POV

I met Avery at the park again the next day. She wasn't so nervous. She's a really sweet girl. I don't see how her mom could just let her wait by herself. The thought of someone taking a little girl like this scares me. Why doesn't it scare her mom?

Today was hotter than all of the rest, and Avery still has her sweater on. "How are you not burning up in that sweater?" I ask, fanning myself with my hand. She just shrugs.

"Ms. Lovato?" Her little voice asks.

I smile. "Yes?"

"Would it be a blessing if someone took me?"

That caught me way off guard. "Avery, why would you ask that?"

Before I got an answer, a car horn honked. "I have to go." She picked up her bag and ran to her mother's car.

I went home with what she had just asked. It played over and over again in my head. Why would she even ask that? Who told her that? It was probably just someone at school. Wow, kids can be mean.

Avery's POV

I ran to Mom's car. I can't believe I actually asked that question. It had just been in my head all day, and I needed to ask someone other than Mom. But now I don't know her answer, which makes me even more nervous.

On the way home, the car got a flat tire. "Shit," Mom said as she pulled over to the side of the road. She got out of the car, but I stayed inside. I didn't want to get in her way. She opened her door again and looked at me. "Well are you going to sit there and be useless or are you going to help me get this tire out of the trunk?" I quickly got out of the car and met her at the trunk. She opened it and showed me where the tire was. I got one side while she got the other, but once we got it out of the car, it was too heavy and I dropped it. "What the hell?" She shouted at me.

Then a truck pulled up behind us. "Would you ladies like some help?" I man asked.

"Well it's about time someone stopped to help," Mom said. I get embarrassed to be around her while she's so rude.

The man gets the tires switched out easily, and my mom gets in the car.

"Thank you," I say to the man, not looking up.

"Avery, are you getting in the car or walking home?" Mom yells out of her window. I run to the car and get in. "How many times do I have to tell you, don't talk to strangers," she snapped.

"But he helped us."

"Why are you always arguing with me?"

"Sorry, momma."

The rest of the car ride was silent.

Double update today because I had a lot of comments on the last chapter. Thank you!