Nine: Thanksgiving Break

Demi's POV

Days always passed quickly. It was already a couple of months into the school year. The leaves were falling off of the trees and the days were getting cooler.

Everyday, I still wait with Avery at the park for her mom. The more times go on, the more I feel like she doesn't have a safe home. It's probably just me overthinking things, but I get so nervous for Avery. The way she changes subjects quickly when I ask about her mom, and how she always has her sweater on like she's hiding something, just seems suspicious to me. I'm scared to ask, though. What if I'm wrong? I'll just make a huge mess out of it.

It was the Friday before Thanksgiving break, and we were waiting at the park. "It's getting cold, huh?" I ask, bundling myself up. She nods. She only has that sweater, the same one she has worn everyday since school started. "Are you ready for the break?" She shrugs. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing," she says in a quiet voice. The horn honks. "Bye," she says as she runs to the car. All week, I know I'm going to be wondering why she wasn't so excited for this break.

Avery's POV

I'm honestly not excited for this break. Most kids are, but I'm not. I don't like any breaks we have. It just means I'm going to be home more. Mom doesn't work during the day all week, but she still leaves at night.

I didn't want to stay home with my mom for a week. I did all summer break, and I don't want to for this break.

I have to run. Tonight when my mom leaves, I have to run.

At around 7:00PM, when it started getting dark, I heard Mom's car start up, and I watched out of the window as she drove away.

I put on my shoes, and dumped my school supplies out of my backpack. I packed all of my clothes, which didn't take too long, and put on my sweater. Once I was at the door, I put my hand on the doorknob and hesitated. Do I really want to do this? Mom would kill me if she found me.

No.

I took my hand off of the doorknob. It's not worth it. She'd find me, and then I'd really wish I was dead.

I went slowly back to my room and put my clothes back. I put my school supplies back into my backpack. I took off my shoes and crawled into bed. I couldn't fall asleep, though. I just hope this week goes by quickly.

Of course, the week didn't go by quickly. Monday night, I heard Mom come home in a rage. I sat up in my bed and hoped she wouldn't come in my room, but of course she did.

"You little shit!" She shouted as she stomped towards me.

"W-what did I do?" I asked quickly, nervous of what she was going to do.

She grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of bed. "I have to show you something," she said, still upset. She pulled me to the bathroom, and I waited as she opened a cabinet. She brought out a tiny piece of metal. "This is what I do," she said, putting the metal to her wrist.

"M-momma?" I asked.

"This is what I do because of you!" She cut, and I turned my head away. I didn't want to see it. "Because I have a brat like you for a daughter!" After I don't know how long, she stopped and fell to the floor crying. "Go to bed, Avery. You don't need to see me like this."

"Momma?"

"Go!"

I ran back to my room and closed the door. I went back under my covers. I hadn't seen Mom cry like that in I don't know how long.

But how could I have done that to her? What did I do to make her do that to herself?

I must be a really terrible daughter.