Twenty-Six: Fits

Demi's POV

"No," Avery whined.

"Please?" I begged. She just crossed her arms and shook her head. We had just eaten breakfast and I was trying to give her the medicine. "Avery, you need to take your medicine."

"It's nasty," she whined. "Don't make me take it, Demi," she pouted as she hugged me. It made me feel bad, but I knew that's what she was wanted. I hugged her back, then peeled her off of me.

"Avery, you need to drink it."

"No."

"The taste won't last long."

"No."

"Avery-"

"No!"

"Okay, do not shout at me," I said firmly.

"Don't be like my mom," she said back.

"I'm not trying to be like your mother."

"She always made me eat and drink nasty things because they went bad, and she wasn't going to waste them. Don't make me drink that, Demi. It's spoiled!"

"No, Avery, it's not. We just got it yesterday."

"They gave it to us spoiled."

"No," I corrected.

"Then why is it nasty?"

"Because that's just how medicine tastes. It doesn't taste good. I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do about it. But you need to take it." I held it out to her, and she pushed my hand away, a pout on her face. I tried again, getting frustrated. She pushed it away again, this time with more force, making me drop the medicine. It spilled out of the little plastic cup along with the water I was holding in the other hand. "Avery-" I said with a tone of shock. Before I could go on, she took off running to her room. I was left alone in the kitchen with the mess on the floor. I had to calm myself down. I wasn't mad, just shocked. What happened to my sweet Avery who did anything I asked without hesitation? I had to consider her circumstance. She just came out of an abusive home. I should expect outbursts at least every once in a while. I also keep forgetting that she's only seven. She's still a kid that gets upset when they're tired or don't feel good. I started to clean up the mess. It really wasn't that much to clean up. After that, I decided to check on Avery. I knocked on her door, no answer. I heard quiet sniffles from the other side. "Avery, honey, let me in," I said in a sympathetic tone. Still no answer. I slowly opened the door to see her coward ing in the corner, sitting down with her face in her knees. When she heard me walk in, her head shot up, and I saw the fear in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Demi. Please don't make me go back," she pleaded.

"Honey, I'm not going to make you-"

"Don't hurt me!" She yelled as I came closer.

"Avery, listen to me. I'm not going to hurt you, and I'm not going to make you go back."

"I'm s-sorry, Demi," she said quietly through sniffles.

"It's okay, baby." I hugged her, and she flinched, but I didn't move away. I needed to show her that I would still love her, and would never hurt her.

"I'll take my medicine," she said in a defeated tone.

"Alright," I said as I helped her up. I measured more medicine into the plastic cup and got another cup full of water. I handed both to her. She drank the medicine and her water. "Good job," I said as she handed me back both cups.

Okay, this is it! Last update for tonight. My readers are the best! Thank you for the support!