Ten: Lying

Avery's POV

Thank God I'm going back to school today. Mom has been crazy all week! And it scares me. I've stayed clear of her so I'm less likely to get in trouble. But there always seems to be something.

In class we had to write about what we did over the break. I had to lie again and say I went to my grandparent's house for Thanksgiving Dinner. It seemed to work. I wish I didn't have to lie. I wish I could just tell the truth like everyone else in class, but I can't. I'd get in too much trouble.

At recess, Jasmine sat by me under the tree. We talked. She did most of the talking.

After school I walked to the park and Ms. Lovato shortly got there, too.

"How was your break?" She asked me.

"It was good," I answered. I hate lying.

I feel bad. She tries to start up conversations, but I have too many things going on in my head that I can't carry them on.

"Avery?" She asked. I looked up at her. "Are you okay?" I nodded instinctively. That's been my answer to that question for many years. She gave me a look that told me she didn't fully believe me. The horn honked, letting me escape from Ms. Lovato's question.

"Bye." I got up and ran to the car like I do everyday.

"What did you say you did over the break?" Mom asked.

"I said I went to my grandparent's house."

"Good."

I like the silence that comes at night. I can roam around the house without the fear of getting yelled at. I was in the kitchen when something caught my eye. A glass bottle was left on the counter. I went closer and saw there was still liquid in it. I wondered what it was about it that Mom liked so much. I wanted to try it. I picked it up and put it to my face. It stunk. I poured some in my mouth, then spit it out on accident, dropping the bottle aswell.

Oh no!

Mom is going to be so mad! I don't know how to clean this up!

Okay, maybe if I just go to bed, she'll think she did it while she was mad, and I won't get in trouble. I stopped in the bathroom on the way to my room. I needed to rinse this taste out of my mouth. That stuff is disgusting!

I went to bed and fell asleep to the hope that I wouldn't get in trouble. But it didn't work.

"Avery!" My mom screamed from the kitchen. I quickly got up and went to her. "Come here," she said in a slow, threatening tone. I hesitantly walked over to her and looked down at where she was pointing. It was the mess I had made. The broken glass scattered around the floor along with the rest of the nasty drink. "Did you do this?" She asked, not changing her tone. I slowly shook my head to tell her no. She lowered herself down so she was at my height and grabbed my chin to make me look at her. "Did you just lie to me?"

After a few seconds, I started to cry. "I'm sorry, Momma." She roughly took my wrist. "No. No!" My legs wouldn't cooperate, so she ended up dragging me all of the way down the hall to her bed room. She grabbed her belt. "I'm sorry!"

"It's a little too late for that now, Avery." She tried to hit me with the belt, but I backed away just enough.

"I'll be good."

"Oh you will be after this."

She grabbed my wrist and I tried to pull away, but she was stronger than me. I was thrown to the wall, and I curled up, trying to make myself as small as I could. I couldn't protect myself, though. Each whip hurt worse that the previous. She threw the belt down and grabbed me again. I screamed out in pain. She hit me until I was barely concious, then dragged me out of the room. I was thrown down the basement, and I heard it lock. That's the last sound I remember before completely knocking out.

This was a little more intense. It had to be for what I'm planning.

Thanks for 1k reads already!!