Three: Signing Papers

Avery's POV

"Have a good afternoon," Ms. Lovato said as the last bell rang. I left the building with the rest of the kids and waited on the steps for my mom to come get me. It only took about five minutes. I ran to the car and quickly got in. I get in trouble if I take too long to get in.

"How was the first day?" She asked.

"Good," I answered.

"No, I didn't mean how you like it. I meant did anyone ask questions today?"

"The teacher just asked about my sweater."

"And?"

"I just said I wasn't hot."

"Okay," she said, continuing to drive away from the school. That was all that was said while on the way home.

Once we got back to the house, I ran to my room. I like staying in there as much as possible. I had a lot of papers that Mom needed to sign, but she always says that I need to leave her alone for a while once we get home. I wait in my room for a while, then decide to go out. I open the door to hear the TV playing. I bring my papers out to the living room. I get more and more nervous. I never know how she's going to react to anything.

"Momma?" I ask.

"Hmm?" She responds without looking away from the TV.

"C-can you sign these?"

"What are they?"

"They're for school. It's only a few papers."

She snatches the papers from my hand as I flinch. She looks over them. "You expect me to believe that teachers send stuff home with the kids? They think the kids are that responsible?" I nod, and she hands the papers back to me. "What are you trying to pull, huh?"

"Nothing, they-"

"No one in their right mind would trust a child to remember to give this to the parents."

"But-"

"Don't argue with me!" She brings her hand up and I flinch. She doesn't hit me, though. "I don't know what you're trying to get me to sign, but I'm not signing anything. If it's that important, the teacher would give it to the parents themselves."

"But Mo-"

"Go Avery!" I flinch at her yelling and scurry back to my room. That didn't go like I hoped it would. I knew I was going to have to sign them myself, and hope that Ms. Lovato won't be able to tell.

I read the books I've had over and over again. They are my only source of entertainment while my mom is home. Other than that, I daydream. I imagine life with a real family, like the ones the other kids at school have.

After a few hours, I hear the car start up. It's time for Mom to go to work. I look out the window and watch as my mom leaves the driveway. I go out of my room and turn the TV on. I turn it to Disney Channel and watch as much as I can. I know I'll get punished if I'm caught. I go into the kitchen and look in the pantry. I find a can of beans, put it in a bowl, and heat it up. I eat my dinner as I watch TV. I can't help but wish I had a family like the ones on the shows. When it's late enough, I wash my bowl and turn off the TV. I get ready for bed and try my best to sleep. I don't know when I fell asleep, but the next thing I know, I'm being woken up by Mom again to get ready for school. And the routine starts.