Chapter 34 - Don't Trust

Tris

The day started off just like the past few have since they moved me to this new room.

The woman who states her name is Julie comes in and checks the tube attached to my left leg.

The tube that feeds the toxins into my bloodstream; its plan to kill me slowly but surely.

Her calming 'Good morning, Tris' statement she says every day makes me almost sure she's plotting to come behind me and jab me in the other leg with a knife.

Then later in the day, the other woman, Marie, or Dr. Scott is what she goes by, I guess, comes in.

I trust her a tiny bit more than the other woman, but still not very much.

She usually doesn't do much. She sometimes changes out the poison they're putting into my foot, but usually she just runs some kind of thermometer over my forehead and smiles strangely and looks at my eyes weirdly. She's always asking me questions to which I don't reply, but I would if I could, and also if I knew that she wouldn't hurt me if I did.

I just wish Tobias was around. I feel so out-in-the-open and defenseless in this state. Although he's trusting of these people, he would protect me when they turned on me.

He said he was going back to Dauntless for a few days to talk with the leaders, and to be with his mother and dog for a few days.

There's a soft tap on the door and I jump, flinching in pain.

He's here for me.

He has found me.

They told him where I was, and now he's here and is going to kill me.

I knew they couldn't be trusted.

Dr. Scott walks into the room, and I feel myself shaking.

"Oh, Tris. Shh. You're okay. It's just me, Marie. I'm not going to hurt you." She tries to take her hand in mine but I move my hand away.

I want to scream.

I don't know why I can't.

My mouth falls open, but no matter how hard I force the air from my lungs, no words form.

What's wrong with my voice?

Why can't I speak?

This continues for days on end.

Paranoia and pain takes its toll on my body as my limbs begin to feel like led and my head constantly throbs.

They're all out to get me.

I've heard them talking about me.

Tobias hasn't returned in days.

I pray that he hasn't given up and left me to who knows what with these people.

There's a different sounding rap on the door, and my heart leaps in fear.

The noise of the knock is different, most likely meaning it's a new person; a new person out to get me.