Vampire and Slayer-(7 Unusual One)

Start from the beginning

Then I remembered my mom. "Oh. Hi, Mom! Sorry for that delay. I just had to...pour some hot water for tea. It was boiling."

"Oh don't worry, Honey. I'm sorry to have interrupted you in a moment. So what did you do today?"

"Nothing much. I worked on my poker skill and that's about all." I glanced at the cards on the ground.

"Wait, wait, wait! Am I imagining it, or did you just use a contraction?" she was shocked. Literally.

I laughed awkwardly. "Yeah. I guess I did. Am I in trouble?"

"Yep. Ten years. You can start the sentence now. No, I'm not mad! You should use them more often! I always feel so...illiterate around you! Oh I miss you, Honey," she sighed.

We talked for an hour before she decided she was ready for bed. "Well, Darlin', I think I'm going to crash. It's been a long day and I'm beat. You be good now. Do your chores and wash the dishes," her teacher's voice was on.

"Yes, Mommy," I moaned.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Sweet dreams."

"You too."

"Bye, Baby," my mother whispered, her tone sad.

"Yeah. Bye, Mom," and I hung up the phone. I then headed into the kitchen to make something to eat. It was while I was brewing actual tea that I began thinking about all the weird things that Ben had said over the past few days.

"I like time to be unnaturally precise. You never know when it'll just stop."

"They didn't do what parents are supposed to do so I didn't see reason to stay with them...They didn't want a son, so I didn't force one upon them...They wanted something, but it wasn't a son..."

In response to my, "You are evil, very, very evil," he said, "I know that all too well missy."

"You're not as fragile as you seem."

It was all a little weird. Like vampire weird. Stop, I ordered myself sternly. But for once, I didn't listen. What was he? He was something. The 'unusual one' persay?

It was like connect the dots Sherlock Holmes style. He was different. He was human. No. He appeared to be. That connected to the assumption that the 'unusual one' blended in with me, with the inhabitants of the world. That connected to not feasting in the way of rightness. And that connected to growing and changing. Maybe I was nuts though. Maybe I was solving a crossword puzzle without the hints.

If so, than what was Ben? But why was I asking? I knew.

Ben was a vampire. He was a vampire but he was different. He was this 'unusual one' I had been warned about. He was different. But how? What was different about him? The words spoken Saturday night in the forest with that coven of vampires ran through my mind.

"Why is he unusual?" My words.

"He lives his years with change, and feasts not in the way of rightness." The vampire's.

"Why are all the other vampires frantic?"

"Those who leave fear his threatening opposition and those who stay, wish to end the strangeness of it all."

"How does he blend in?"

"Not camouflage with the earth, but with the ones of its being. You'll see."

"Do you want the strangeness ended?"

"No. We wish to learn more of his natural sanctuary. We want to keep him unburned. It would be easier than stakes and fire though. No more questions."