Vampire and Slayer-(4 The Message)

Start from the beginning

"The 'unusual one'!" he jumped over a metal fence.

I growled and hopped it. "What's unusual about him?"

"He is unlike us!" the undead I was yet to identify jumped to the second floor of a fire escape stair case.

"In what ways?" I scrambled up the ladder cursing the fact that it started six feet up.

"He blends in!" the vampire laughed from three stories up.

"How?" I asked as I hopped the waist high fence to the stairs and headed upwards.

"How should I know?" he leaned over the last railing to give his final retort then disappeared onto the roof top.

I made it to the fourth floor in ten seconds flat. I sprinted off of the last landing and onto to roof looking around for him. A pair of chilly, but no longer ice cold hands grabbed my shoulders and I tumbled to the ground. The vampire, who I know understood was named Eric, pinned me to the ground and leaned over my torso. "Don't kill me and I'll help you kill him!"

"I do not work with the soulless," I snapped, my fingers on the cross waiting for him to moment he would move just a few inches.

"Your mistake," he lashed at my neck. When he moved his thigh brushed my belt buckle. "GAH!" Eric flew backwards grabbing at his leg.

"Vampire," I muttered and scrambled to his side the cross ready. One chain around the wrist and a stake in the heart later, I was watching him burn, wondering if I really wanted to climb down the fire escape again.

During the whole ride home and all through dinner all I could think about was this "unusual one" Eric had spoken of. Who was he? What was he? Why was he different? Why did Eric want him dead? What did he do to make Eric stoop so low as to offer a slayer help? How did I find him? When would I find him? Could I kill him when I did?

I burned with questions and fears but all I found was more questions and fears. I climbed into bed thinking that maybe I didn't want any of questions answered.

That night I dreamed of me. I was running in an alley that didn't end and contained no vampire to stake. I had been running for seven seconds when icy hands grabbed me and razor sharp teeth cut into my neck. I wrenched out of his teeth and spun around to see...nothing. There was no vampire there. There was only an alley. I turned around again but there was nothing. He grabbed me when I was focused on the opposite direction and chomped down on my flesh. I pulled one of the hands into my view but I was holding the air.

Nothing. The air. The dream faded when the pain in my neck flared and I started laughing, the delirium from the venom kicking in. I woke up, sweating and screaming. Panting, my hand involuntarily rubbed the perspiration from my forehead. There was a knock on my door. I threw my head up too quickly and neck snapped with pain.

"Come in," I howled.

My mother opened the door. "Are you alright?"

"Yes. I am fine. I just had a bad dream."

"Are you sure? You sounded hurt..." she trailed off and I understood that right now, she was every bit my mother.

"I was dreaming that I was hurt. Then I snapped my neck when I woke up. Really, I am fine," I lulled in a pained voice.

"Okay. If you need anything, don't hesitate," I could see her smile in the dark, then she turned and closed the door.

"Gah," I moaned as I threw myself back on the pillow. I bit my lip to keep from scream again when I remembered how it felt to look down and see nothing in my hand. And...yawn...I couldn't see, or hear, or remember, or feel...yawn...anything through this vampire. Or whatever it was. With a last yawn, I drifted back to sleep, feeling hands on my arms, and teeth in my neck.