LaurenDMSmith (Cinderella vs. Prince Charming) [Rev+Int]

Author: LaurenDMSmith

Work: Cinderella vs. Prince Charming

Interview

Name: Lauren DM Smith. Yes, it's my real name

Age: 23

*Fave Colour: Anything but pink

*Fave Band: Too many to choose just one

*What age/grade were you when you first started writing? I think I was seven or eight. Then my older brother found it. I really started writing two years later.

*What prompted you to start? Too many story ideas in my head. The only way to get rid of them is to write them down

*Do you feel you have advanced since you started? God yes or I wouldn't keep writing. I look at the stuff I wrote before, even stuff I did only a few years earlier, and it makes me cringe it's so bad.

*Where do you draw your inspiration from? Dreams about half the time. I have seriously messed up ones. The rest of the time it's words or images that just spark an idea.

*What opinion could people form about you if they looked at your bookshelf? I'm a huge fantasy nerd. I own almost 400 books and most are fantasy. What can I say, I'm a bibliophile.

*What inspired you to write Cinderella Vs. Prince Charming? It's one of the rare stories where I had the title first. It just popped into my head about three years ago along with the image of Cinderella fighting Prince Charming, trying to send him away. It amused me so I followed the story along. I originally only had the first three chapters done but then came back to it. Then it took me over and here we are, me writing the third one for NaNoWriMo.

*Why a fairy tale? I think I read almost all the fairy tales out there when I was a kid. Original versions and some of the most obscure ones you can imagine. And I like fairy tales

*Have you based the characters off of anyone? Not really. Well, her sisters are a combination of my little sister and my students. But there's no one specific person any character is based off of.

*Do you feel any connections with your characters? They are my babies. Sometimes I think of scenes, that will never happen in my books, just to see how they'll react.

*Do you see your characters as just words or real people? Oh they're real people for sure. Especially when I plan out an entire chapter then when I go to write it, that's not what happens. They often develop minds of their own on me.

*Do you base any scenes off of real life experience? Sometimes I do descriptions based off places I've been. Some things, like part-time jobs or convocation are based off what I've done. Just because it's what I know and can describe realistically. But that's only sometimes.

*How did you find Wattpad? I kept seeing people posting links to it on Yahoo Answers, which annoyed me, so I went to see what they were making such a fuss about.

*Who else reads your works apart from Wattpad users? My sister. She's actually supposed to have sent this back to me with her notes but university appears to have gotten in her way.

*Is writing your major past time? Sometimes. I tend to go in cycles. Now it's writing. In a few months it'll be back to reading or video games. Then it'll probably shift back to writing.

*Are you creative in any other areas? No. I'm artistically challenged and I hate public speaking so acting's out. Sometimes I doodle but I suck.

*When is your best time to write? Your worst? Middle of the night hopped up on caffeine is when I've produced some of my best work. Also some of my worst. Depends on how tired I am and how much caffeine I've had.

*Do you tend to imagine the scenes as your write, or plan them beforehand? Both. I tend to have a few scenes planned out then sort of go with it from there. But as I said before, even when I plan a scene out, it's not always what I end up writing.

*How do you fight writers block? I struggle through it. Mostly because every time I try to free write or listen to music or whatever to get rid of it I come up with another story idea. Which is counterproductive.

*Any brain food/drinks? Diet Pepsi owns my soul. It got me through university and is my poison of choice while writing. Of course in Japan they only have Pepsi Nex which is disgusting so I've temporarily switched to Coke Zero

*Do you ever feel like you just HAVE to write? As in, the urge is overpowering? Sometimes when a story really has me and won't leave me be. Normally I can get the story to work around my schedule. Normally.

*What is THE main reason you write? So I remain relatively sane. I couldn't handle all the ideas crowding my brain otherwise. And it amuses me. I have a short attention span so anything that can keep my attention for a while is a plus.

*Encouraging last words? Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward. And for the love of all that is sweet and crunchy, use proper spelling and grammar

Review

This is a beautifully written, interesting, original, and intruiging story.

A classic fairy tale with a modern twist.

The characters are lively and full of personality.

Your descripiton balance is wonderful.

Your dialogue was beautifully smooth and natural.

And I found no obvious grammar mistakes.

Such a loverly refresh from the usual cliche' Cinderella story! This was everything but cliche'!

Well done :)

freak, what a pathetic review. I'm afraid I'm losing my touch =/

Pixi

Did you know I write TOO? and UPLOAD!?