Chapter 30 - I Love Her

Start from the beginning

"Four, I'm not kidding. You have to have some hope. We all need to have some hope; for her sake. She's going to need a lot of support through this. Look, I know you were here in Erudite today, and I know that you said you weren't planning on going home until the morning, so come on down. I can't promise that I can let you go in and see her, but you can come and see that she's awake. Don't worry, I did as you promised and she was and still is stable before I even called you. She's just in a state of shock right now and I'm not sure if we can have people going in to see her. I'll meet you in the lobby to keep any of the nurses off of your back since visiting hours aren't during two in the morning."

"Oh-- Okay." He barely hears his voice, forcing the air from his lungs to speak and his mouth struggling to make words from the numbness of his face.

He jerks himself up from the bed, smoothing out his clothes that he wore yesterday and fell asleep in. Considering that he isn't at his own home, he just slept in the clothes he was in the refrain from disturbing his hosts.

Quietly, he makes his way through the apartment and to the living room. He goes into the kitchen and searches for a pen and a piece of paper to thank is hosts for letting him stay, and to let them know where he is disappearing to.

He writes:

Caleb, Cara and Beatrice-

Thank you for letting me spend the night. I'm sorry I'm cutting my stay shortly and very abruptly, but I just have to go. Thank you so much for your hospitality... I really do appreciate it.

-Four

He leaves the note on the kitchen table and goes out the front door of the apartment, quietly shutting it to not wake the family. Tobias bursts down the stairs in the stairwell two at a time knowing that he needs to get to the first floor in order to get to the hospital which is in another building.

He knows that it would probably be safer and quicker to take the elevator, but his dauntless training makes the stairs no problem, and the claustrophobia makes the elevator a problem to him.

Many flights later, he runs from the apartment building down the street to the crisp, white building that is the hospital: his destination.

He slows his jogging as he reaches the door to the entrance of the hospital, the door squeaking slightly as it opens and closes behind him.

His heart races in his chest as he walks through the halls to the waiting room he knows Dr. Scott was talking about. It isn't the run to the hospital that makes his heart race though. He clenches and unclenches his fists at his sides to calm his growing nerves and excitement.

Tobias walks through the section of the hospital that just about never sleeps; the emergency room section. Nurses and doctors run with people on gurneys and in wheelchairs to get them where they need to be. He weaves his way through people going back and forth, yelling apologies as they rush past.

Ducking down another hallway, he's greeted by Dr. Scott and her familiar nervous smile. Four hasn't known her long, but he knows that smile is the one she gives when she too is nervous about something. She would usually have that look on her face when she had not so good news to tell.

Tobias

All I can hear is my heart beating through my ears so harshly that I can feel my pulse throbbing through my ears.

"Four, are you alright? Don't pass out on me here." I hear Dr. Scotts voice bring me back.

"Yeah, sorry. Just not totally awake yet." I lie. I'm totally awake. I've been wide awake since she called me on the phone and I heard her tell me that Tris is awake.  If I wasn't totally awake, I wouldn't of been able to run here as quickly as I did.

She nods slightly, and I mentally sigh in relief that she believes me.

"Walk and talk. Follow me." She says motioning with her hand, and I follow her down the hallway and to the ICU section of the hospital.

"She woke up very abruptly. There wasn't any change in her breathing patterns, brain waves or heart rate before she woke up; the usual and obvious signs of waking up from a coma. She kind of just opened her eyes, gasped and ripped off the oxygen mask we had on her face along with a few of the wires and IVs we had on and going into her. Since they all were removed, she's actually been quite calm, but like I told you, almost in a state of shock. I don't think she was planning on waking up right then just like we weren't expecting it either. She hasn't screamed or anything, which I find shocking. I can only imagine what's going through her brain right now. It must be like a computer on overload or something close to it. She's just been staring at the one wall and mumbling things now and then, and isn't answering anybody or making eye contact."

I nod, following her down another hallway.

"I feel like she's scared. Like she just doesn't know where she is... Like she doesn't remember being awake from before she fell into the coma, possibly."

"So you're saying that she has memory loss?" I ask.

She looks at me while still walking, "I'm not sure. It's a possibility. Right now all she needs is just some time before we do more tests on her. Like I said, her brain is almost like on complete overload right now. The main thing right now is to keep her breathing, and to keep her heart rate from spiking. So far, it's been way easier than I thought it would."

She stops in front of the door that I recognize as the room that Tris has been in. I follow her into the small hallway that looks into Tris's room.

I feel like I should smile or something, but I don't.

I don't know how to react.

Her blonde hair now falls over her face as she lays on her side, her injured leg being on top of her other one as she faces the wall. Her one hand is on her face, and the other is in a loose fist near her face. She clutches a black fabric in her hands as if someone was going to take it from her.

She looks pained, and all I want to do is wrap her in my arms and tell her over and over again that she is safe and always will be.

I want her to know that I'm here, and that I'll never leave her side again. That no one will ever treat her the way she was treated ever again for as long as she lives. I want her to know that I love her, and that I will make sure that she is going to get the help she truly needs.

Most of all, I want her to know that I love her, and will never stop.

A/N-

Hi humans!!

So... I haven't done an authors note in a while... Not much is new... Just waiting for school to end. 🙄

The next chap is what you all have been waiting for, I promise. (You may want to buy some tissues in advance)

23.5k reads!!

Qotc: Do you have a divergent fanfic (or know of one) that I should read?

Aotc: Advertise it right here!! I need some new fanfics to read!! (It can be your own or someone else's!)

Anyways...

Happy Friday!

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to...

Vote

And

Comment

And

BE BRAVE BECAUSE ILY ALL SO SO MUCH (: