Young

It was such a beautiful day. The sun was shining, the sky was clear and Selena wasn't in the house! I joke, I joke, she was out with a boy and my Mum was out with her friends so I was left alone in the house. I was actually just going to sunbathe for most of the day. I had a bikini top and short shorts on. I went outside and dragged the sun lounger over to the pool and lay on it. 

I heard voices but I just ignored it. It had been a while since I last did this, you know...relaxed. The voices became louder. I looked over the fence and saw Scarlett, my neighbour, on the phone.

"Ugh, I know, he is so annoying. Yeah, look, I better go, I have a lot to do, okay, bye...bye" I quickly turned around and pretended I wasn't listening. She dragged a sun lounger over to the middle of her garden and put her sunglasses on then lay down. I laughed to myself. I snuck over to the fence and stood there for a moment. She didn't even notice me.

"A lot to do huh?" She pushed her shades up and looked at me.

"Eavesdropping huh?" She smiled.

"Yeah, maybe a little."

"Well, I mean this is...a lot, lying here...all day..in my bikini...and turning to get a great tan."

"Hm, yeah I understand..." I said sarcastically and smiled. She rolled her eyes.

"Come round."

"Hm?"

"Come round into my garden."

"Oh..oh okay." I ran around to their side gate and went into their garden. Scarlett had gotten a chair out for me. I sat down and looked at her.

"You look good today, didn't think a 16 year old could have such a good body."  I laughed and looked at her.

"Really?" She nodded. 

"There's uh drinks inside, you can go get them."

"Oh so I'm your slave now huh?" She laughed and rolled her eyes. I jumped up and went into her kitchen and grabbed two cans of cokes. I dropped one of them and quickly picked it up.

"Shit, my bad." I went out and handed one to her and I sat back down. I opened mine and took a sip. I think a cold drink on a boiling hot day, is the best thing ever. 

She opened hers and it sprayed all over her. She jumped up and so did I.

"Crap, I'm sorry, I dropped it, I never meant..."

She laughed and held her hands up as she was drenched.

"You know, if you wanted me naked, you could have just asked." I froze and eventually nervously laughed.

"I'll get you a towel. I'm sorry."

"No, come on, let's just both go in." We both went inside her house and went upstairs to her bedroom. She handed me one of her t-shirts, it was a band shirt for a band I had never heard of. I put it on and fell onto her bed. 

"Okay, don't look, I'm going to get out of this."

"Why don't you just go in your bathroom and changed?" 

She just pretended that she didn't hear me. It was weird. She got changed and I just read a magazine. My phone started ringing. I jumped up and dug my hand into my pocket and grabbed it. 

"Hello?"

"Nina, where are you?" It was Selena.

"Oh, hey sis. I'm next door, at Scarlett's. I'm just coming home." 

"Okay, see you in a few." I hung up and put my phone back in my pocket.

"Hey uh, thank you. It's been a funny..half an hour." She smiled and nodded.

"We'll need to do it again, just less wetness and nakedness." She smirked and I slowly nodded. I quickly ran down the stairs and outside. I jumped the fence and ran inside.

"Hey, hey..hey."

"What were you doing over there? Are they nice?"

"What yeah, I'm kinda..friends with the older girl..Scarlett, she acts a little weird around me." Selena looked at me and yawned.

"What kind of weird?"

"Well like...flirty.." I smirked. Selena burst out laughing and my smirk disappeared.

"What? What's so funny? People flirt with me, boys or girls. I mean, look at me."

"Yeah, whatever." I smiled and laughed. I turned to walk away.

"You're not...you know..."

"A lesbian? No, no, totally straight. Think that was confirmed with my many relationships with boys. Do you don't have any problems with gay people?"

"What?! Of course not, no, no of course not. I just don't want you hiding anything. I would love you if you loved elephants for all I care. I just, wanted to know."

"Well, I am straight, but hey it's still hot when girls flirt with me. Makes me feel like I am...gorgeous to all beings."

"Oh shut up, you're starting to sound like someone from a TV show."

"Alex from Wizards of Waverly place perhaps?"

"Ha ha, shut up." She threw a grape at me and I jumped and caught it in my mouth. I smiled and ran out. I jumped onto the sofa and got cosy. 

"Hey girls, I'm home." Our Mum came into the living room and sat down.

"God, it is good to be home."

"You were only gone for a couple hours." I looked at her and laughed.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm tired." She smiled.

"What did you do today honey?"

"Oh I went over to the neighbours, have you met them yet?"

"No, no I haven't."

"Oh, well they're nice. Well, I've only met ..the daughter of the household. Scarlett. I hung around with her today."

"Wait, wait, what was her name?"

"Scarlett..?"

"What's her last name?"

"Uhm, I don't know, she didn't say..or maybe she did and I wasnt listening. I was kind of distracted by her house, they've decorated it well. I mean you know how we have that wallpaper with the flo.."

"Nina?!? Getting off topic?"

"Oh..right..sorry Mum. Well, I don't know. I got her number when I first met her so I can text her if you want."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah do that." I slowly nodded and texted Scarlett.

Me: Hey what's your last name?

A couple minutes later she texted back.

Scarlett: Young, why?

"It's Young Mum, can you tell me why you needed to know that?"

"You have got to be kidding me."

"What? What?" 

"Well. I used to be best friends with Scarlett's mum, we uhm....were really really good friends in High School. We both had a crush on the same guy. I asked him out first and he said yes. Scarlett's Mum, never spoke to me for ages. So then he dumped me because he said there was someone else. That someone else was Scarlett's Mum, and we never ever spoke again. We had such a huge fight. Well, they ended up getting married and having a kid, who I'm guessing is..."

"Scarlett."