Two Steps Far From You

"Joshy are you almost ready to get out? We're going to be late for your appointment with Ms. Lily!" Marcel shouted to Josh who was taking a bath. He had just turned 7 the past week and insisted he was "too old" to have his daddies bathe him anymore.

"M' done!" He yelled back. Marcel opened the door and smiled at Josh before taking him out of the bath and placing a big fluffy towel around him as he carried him to his room to get dressed.

"I wanna wear my new clothes dada!" Marcel just smiled and grabbed the outfit that Louis had bought Josh for his birthday.

"Joshy, Uncle Lou isn't here, you don't have to pretend to like it." Marcel said as he held up the blue striped shirt, bright red skinnies, braces (suspenders), and TOMS.

"I really like it though!" Marcel just sighed and dressed Josh, he had to admit he looked adorable in the outfit."

"Good morning babe." Marcel greeted Zayn as he walked out of the loo wearing only joggers and still half asleep.

"Mornin love, you're taking Josh to Lily already?"

"Yup, are you coming? We need to leave soon, like now actually."

"Yeah just let me throw on a jumper real quick." Zayn grabbed a random jumper off the couch and put it on as they walked through the door.

They got to the physical therapy building just on time and signed Josh in before taking him over to Ms. Lily who was sitting on the floor. She smiled as Zayn placed Josh on the floor.

"Hey love how are you today?"

"Good."

"I love your outfit."  Marcel and Zayn rolled their eyes, they loved the outfit too but they'd never admit it, especially not to Louis. He was cocky enough.

"Thanks Ms. Lily "

"You're welcome love, now let's get started." Lily stretched out Josh's legs.as usual which Josh cried a little bit for, it hurt. "Okay we're going to try something a little different today so go ahead and pull yourself up using the bars like you normally do." Josh did so with ease.
"Okay now let go with one hand first then the other." He did that as well. "Good job love okay here's the different part, try and take a step."

"I-I can't."

"Yes you can love, just try." Josh took a shaky breath as he slowly took a step forward with his right foot. Afterwards he moved his left as well but then lost balance and fell over. Zayn and Marcel were beaming, Josh just took his first steps in months. Their happiness was short lived however when Josh burst into tears. Zayn rushed over and picked Josh up.

"Baby don't cry what's wrong?"

"I only took two steps! I wanna walk again, im tired of being useless! I'm tired of this!" He sobbed.

"Baby no, we're so proud of you. You did so well, these things take time and you're doing great, please don't cry love." Zayn cooed in his son's ear. Josh continued to cry.

"I-I've been waiting! Wan' go home!" He wailed. Zayn looked at Marcel and Marcel just sighed and nodded with a heart broken look on his face, he felt horrible for Josh as well and as much as he wanted him to finish off his session he knew Josh would be too upset. Lily looked on sympathetically as if she wasn't sure whether or not to say anything, Josh was her favourite client and she hated seeing him this upset. Zayn and Marcel thanked her and scheduled an appointment for next week. She gave them an updated list of exercises to do with Josh and hugged them goodbye.

"You did great Joshy, you'll walk again soon but it'll start off as a few steps at a time. Today was a great start and I'm so proud of you." She told him. He smiled weakly at her through his tears and reached out for her. Zayn let her take him from his arms for a quick hug before Josh reached back out for him. Zayn grabbed him again and Josh rested his head in the crook of Zayn's neck as they left the building. Zayn strapped Josh in the car and gently pecked Marcel's lips before getting in the driver's seat. Halfway home Zayn noticed Josh was asleep and Marcel was being unusually silent. He reached over and grabbed Marcel's hand, gently stroking his thumb over the back of it.

"You alright babe?"

"I-yeah. I just, idk, I know this takes time and I prepared myself for this process but it hurts to see Josh so upset." He said as a tear fell. "This is all my fault! I should have locked up my pills I'm so sorry!" He burst into full on sobs. Zayn pulled the car over and reached over the console and pulled Marcel onto his lap.

"No baby no, this isn't your fault. It was a horrible accident, he'll be okay love. This isn't your fault. Don't cry babe, I love you so much." Marcel clung to Zayn for a few minutes until he was able to calm down enough to go back to his own seat. Zayn reached over and kissed him passionately before grabbing Marcel's hand and holding it as he drove the rest of the way home.

Aww poor Josh, he's making progress though. Some Zarcel and Marcel/Zayn/Josh fluff in there too. Thank you to whoever gave me this prompt, if it was you please comment. I miss not being able to inbox you guys anymore :(

QOTC: Do you want more fluffy chapters after this or do you want a few angsty ones? I have a few things planned for both so it's up to you guys. Or if you have your own ideas please comment them. :)