How Did This Happen

Time stopped for everyone. The nurse ran out of the room muttering something about getting a doctor.

"Josh, what do you mean you can't walk? Are you too weak to walk baby, are you just tired?" Marcel asked with a little bit of hope but Josh just shook his head as he let out another sob.

"No dada I can't move my legs! I'm trying." He sobbed. Liam picked Josh up and cradled him.

"Help me walk Uncle Li. I wanna walk" Liam's heart broke and he didn't know what to say, nobody did. Marcel and Zayn just cried silently and Louis was trying to comfort them both. A knock sounded at the door and the Dr. came in, they were surprised to see it was Dr. Sugg. They knew that he had recently started working there in the pediatrics unit but they were originally assigned a different doctor.

"Hello, I know I'm not the assigned physician but the other doctor thought it would be better for me to take over his chart since I'm familiar with the family." Dr. Sugg explained and they all just nodded. Liam and Louis hugged him but Zayn and Marcel were too distraught to do so. "Can I please have you place him back on the ground?" He asked kindly. Liam put Josh down and he fell straight to the floor.

"I-I can't stand on my own either?!" He let out another loud, heart-breaking sob. Liam and Louis were quick to grab his arms and pull him onto his feet, wiping his tears.

"Josh love, I know it's hard but I need you to try and take a step for me okay?" Dr. Sugg said as he held Josh's chart and a pen in his hand. Josh sniffled and nodded. He looked down at his legs like he was concentrating extremely hard but after 30 seconds he let his body go limp in his Uncles' arms. This time Louis picked Josh up as he cried.

"What's going on, How did this happen Joe?" Zayn asked quietly.

"Well it seems that while the pills did not have an affect on the vital parts of his brain that are required to live and think, they might have possibly affected the part of his brain that allows him to walk."

"So he'll never walk again?" Marcel sobbed out.

"I'm not saying that just yet, I'm not even sure it is his brain yet but when he tried to take a step I did notice a small muscle spasm in his knees which means the nerve endings are possibly still functioning however it could mean they're just getting their last movements out. We're going to have to take him for a CAT scan, if it's something to do with his brain then he can be retaught to walk through intensive physical therapy however there's also the possibility that all the times he had to be resuscitated by the defibrillator affected the nerve endings in his spine."

"What happens if it's the second one..." Marcel cautiously asked. Joe sighed.

"...Then that would mean he'd be paralysed for life." Marcel let out a loud sob and fell into Zayn's arms as Zayn tried to keep himself together for his distraught husband.

"When will the CAT scan take place?" Liam asked, trying not to cry.

"I paged it in and they're ready for him now if you'd like to have it done at this moment? It's about an hour long process." Zayn just nodded on behalf of both him and Marcel. Louis placed Josh, who had fallen asleep, back in the hospital bed and Joe began wheeling him away.

"You can all follow me, there's a waiting room there where you can see everything that's going on." They all nodded and Joe led them to the waiting room as he took Josh back into the CAT scan room and gently moved him onto the machine after changing him into the required safety gown. Joe sat down at the monitors and started up the machine. He watched the monitors intensely as Josh began moving through the machine. Joe furrowed his eyebrows and took notes quickly as the monitors constantly changed. Liam,Louis,Zayn,and Marcel watched through the glass, looking at Joe for any signs on his face of the outcome. The hour seemed to pass by painfully slowly and they all grew extremely anxious when they saw Joe turn off the machine and put the still sleeping Josh back into his regular hospital gown and back on the hospital bed. About five minutes later the door to the waiting room opened and Joe walked in. All four men stood up with worry and anticipation clear on their faces. Joe looked at his clipboard then up at the four nervous men he considers close friends.

"He's back in his regular room now so you can go back there to see him after this. After seeing the CAT scan and analysing the results it's very clear that the reason Josh can't walk is..."

Lol I'm evil so I'm just going to leave you hanging. Will Josh ever be able to walk again? You'll have to wait to find out. I already know whether or not he'll be able to, I'm just making you suffer by cutting the chapter off here.

QOTC: Do you like drama filled chapters like ones where someone is ill or Harry has problems with his schizophrenia or Niall has problems with his diabetes, even minor problems, it doesn't always have to end with them in hospital and things like that or do you prefer happy chapters?