Realization

For the first month it was always "Niall come check your sugar levels." "Niall come get your insulin shot." "Niall are you okay?" and as much as Niall hated the circumstances he really loved the attention. That first month passed by and then another, the second month Niall finally received his medical alert bracelet. Liam and Louis had backed off a little since Niall knew how to handle things pretty well now. However by the third month Niall felt completely neglected. Harry had been acting up a lot lately and they even had to take him to the ER because he tried to scratch out his eyes. Liam and Louis figured that Niall would be okay to watch himself most of the time. He knew when to eat and how to administer his own medication so they stopped giving him attention.

Niall was at his footie match that Liam had just dropped him off at then left because he said "Papa needs help at home with Harry." Niall was sad that no one was there to cheer for him but he still played his best and his team won 4-0. He had forgotten to check his blood sugar level before the match because he was distracted but he figured that'd it'd been awhile since breakfast so he was okay to eat the snack they gave out at the end. Niall said thank you for the biscuits and juice and ate them as he waited for his dada to pick him up. He felt a bit weird but just shrugged it off, he was just tired. Liam arrived five minutes later and Niall excitedly told him all about the match and that he'd even scored a goal. Liam beamed at Niall and told him that if Harry behaved they'd all be there next week. When they got home Niall noticed the freshly baked cake on the table.

"Papa where'd the cake come from?"

"It's from Marcel's bakery, he dropped it off on his lunch break. How was your match bug?"

"Great, we won 4-0. Can I have a piece of cake?"

"How's your blood sugar? Did you already have sweets today?" Niall didn't know his blood sugar since he hadn't checked and he knew he already had sweets and shouldn't eat cake but he really wanted it. His six year old brain couldn't process that this might be a bad idea.

"No papa, and it's a little low." He lied. Louis told him to sit down and handed him a slice of cake. Niall scarfed it down and when Louis and Liam were busy with Harry he also sneakily drank another cup of juice. He went up to the play room and took out his action figures and began playing with them but eventually his stomach started to hurt. At first he thought he just ate too much but this felt a little different. All of a sudden he was very hot and dizzy and his vision was blurry. He felt like he was going to be sick and he was scared. he quickly got up and ran in the direction he thought the door was in, luckily he was right. He stumbled down the hallway trying to listen for his dads but there was a slight ringing in his ears. Out of nowhere his stomach lurched and he bent over and threw up on the floor. He heard a voice calling out what sounded like his name but it was too late, the last thing he felt was himself hitting the ground.

"Liam how could I be such a horrible parent?! I left our six year old to medically care for himself!" Louis sobbed. Liam comforted his husband as they sat in the waiting room in the ER.

"It was me too Louis, we both messed up this time. This makes me realize how closely we have to watch Niall. We can't just watch Harry closely. They both need our constant attention."

"This is so hard Li... I just want our boys healthy. I don't want to worry about Harry killing himself or about Niall forgetting to check his blood sugar and next thing you know he's in a coma. I want to be able to take them places and just worry about having fun!" Louis said as he broke down again. Liam just held Louis as he cried. After bringing Niall to the ER Liam had dropped Harry off at Zayn and Marcel's quickly explaining what was going on. Liam and Louis had yet to find out the exact situation though, they didn't know if the blood sugar was too high or too low."