Friends Old And New

"Papa hurry! Imma be late for school!" Niall screamed from the bottom of the stairs. It was his first day of year 1 and he was excited.

"I'm coming Ni! I'm just getting Harry's shoes on!" Louis yelled back.

"Do you want to try and tie your shoes today Hazza?"

"I forgot how Papa." Louis just laughed and kissed his cheek and began tying his shoes for him.

"That's okay love, I'll teach you again later. Let's go take Ni to school." Harry nodded and lifted his arms to be picked up. Louis lifted him and walked downstairs and out the door.

"NIALL!"

"LEEROY!" Niall and Leeroy ran up and hugged each other. Justin had somehow managed to keep it hidden from authorities that he was raising Leeroy alone at 16. As soon as he turned 18 he filed for and received full custody of Leeroy. They lived about 10 minutes away from Zayn and Marcel and they were actually still good friends. Niall and Leeroy went into their classroom and sat down next to each other. Soon a young looking woman walked in to the room.

"Hello class my name is Zoe Deyes (I'm Zalfie AF <3), I'm your teacher for the year." She smiled sweetly at the kids.

"Okay well I'm going to call roll and then we'll get started with our first lesson." After roll they started with a maths lesson but halfway through a shy looking boy wearing a wrinkled uniform walked in the door.

"Hello love, I'm Mrs. Deyes. What's your name?" The boy continued to stare at the floor before speaking barely above a whisper.

"Josh Devine"

"Well Josh you can have a seat over there next to Niall and Leeroy okay? They're delightful boys." Josh just nodded and quietly came and sat by them.

"Hi I'm Niall and that's Leeroy."

"M' Josh."

"You don't talk much huh?" Josh didn't say anything.

"Well I like you anyway, you can sit with us during lunch." Josh let out a small smile and nodded his head. During lunch all three boys sat together as they said they would. Niall and Leeroy even got Josh to laugh and talk a little bit though he was still a bit quiet.

"Hey Josh do you wanna come over after school? Leeroy is." Josh froze.

"I- I can't."

"Why not."

"My mum and dad...they uh, wanna have family time." Josh started to shake a little bit and Niall noticed but for once kept his mouth shut.

"Okay, maybe another time."

"Yeah, maybe." He gave a half smile. School went by pretty quickly and they were waiting for Liam to pick them up. Josh was waiting with them too for his parents. Soon Liam pulled up.

"Bye Niall, bye Leeroy." Niall looked at Liam and then his surroundings, he noticed a lot of kids were leaving so not many were left.

"Dada can we wait for Josh's parents to pick him up? I don't want to leave him." Liam turned off the car.

"Of course, Josh you don't want to come over with the boys?"

"I c-can't sir." Liam frowned.

"Well that's alright, another time, you don't have to call me sir either love, you can just call me Liam."

"O-okay Mr. Liam" Liam decided to just let it go, the kid seemed very obedient and almost scared but Liam was probably over thinking, maybe Josh was just polite. They waited for half an hour and they were the only ones left.

"Josh I can give you a ride home if your parents aren't coming." Liam said.

"Thank you Mr. Liam but it's okay, I'll walk. It's not far, my mum probably just got busy or something." Liam didn't like the thought of the small six year old walking alone even if it was close. He'd never let Niall do that.

"Josh it's no problem at all, I can give you a ride." Josh hesitated but nodded his head and got in the car.

"T-thank you Mr. Liam and sorry for making you wait for my mum to come get me."

"It's no big deal love." The whole ride to Josh's house Leeroy talked about how fit he thought Mrs. Deyes was but when Niall accused him of fancying her, Leeroy tried to deny it.

"No, just said she was fit, I don't fancy her."

"Whatever you say lover boy."

"Niall where'd you heard that term before?" Liam asked.

"Marcel."

"Of course." Zayn and Marcel would always lovingly banter with each other. They had been driving for about 10 minutes before Liam asked.

"Josh love, where exactly do you live? Are you sure we're going the right way?"

"Yes Mr. Liam. I live on Nottingham Rd." That was at least another 15 minutes away driving, there's no way Josh could have walked that alone. Eventually they got to Josh's house and he got out of the car.

"Thank you Mr. Liam, bye Ni bye Leeroy."

"Josh are your parents home? I want to talk to them about why they didn't pick you up, you couldn't have walked that, it's far too dangerous." Liam said as he started to get out of the car. Josh began to shake with fear, his eyes darting between his house and the car.

"U-um t-they're busy Mr. Liam, I-I gotta go." Josh took off running inside his house. Liam got back in the car listening to the two boys chatting in the back. Something was fishy about Josh's situation and Liam didn't like how it felt. He wanted to find out what was going on.

Yay I introduced Josh! So this is the combination of my idea and the idea of WhenWeAreOne , Josh will be present in this story a lot :) I love writing this sequel so far.

QOTC: What's your biggest fear?