"His birth mum recently filed for custody of him."

"What? No she can't do that, she gave up her rights when she signed those papers in hospital just hours after he was born." Liam said as he felt tears spring to his eyes, he looked over and saw Louis already crying so he gripped his hand tighter and rubbed his thumb over the back of his hand.

"I know, that's what you'd think but she's taking it to court and testifying that she was too young to make that big of a decision and that she wasn't in the right state of mind when she signed the papers due to the drugs they gave her to help during labour and the court agreed to grant her the case, I'm so sorry and I'm really going to do everything I can but you're going to have to go to court."

"She can't do this! He's our little boy, we've had him since the moment he was born, we've experienced his whole life, he's our son!" Louis sobbed as he buried his face in Liam's chest as Liam finally let his tears fall.

"Papa?" Louis turned around at the small voice he loved so much and opened his arms for Niall to run into which he did as Harry went to Liam. Louis held Niall closely and sobbed into his hair.

"Papa why are you sad, I'm sorry I broke your cup this morning don't cry please." Louis just sobbed even harder, he didn't even know about the cup but he didn't care.

"No bug you didn't do anything, I just love you so much and I never want to lose you." Niall was confused.

"You won't lose me, imma live here forever." Louis and Liam just hoped that was true.

Two weeks later and they'd explained what was happening to Niall in a way he'd understand and he was extremely upset. He didn't want to leave his dads to live with some lady he didn't know. They were sitting in court now after having dropped off Harry at Zayn and Marcel's.

"Ms. Horan you are filing for custody of Niall James Paylinson after having given up your parental rights six years ago claiming you were not in the right state of mind, is that correct?"

"Yes your honour." She answered as she smiled over at Niall who just whimpered and buried his face deeper in Liam's neck causing her to frown.

"Mr. and Mr. Paylinson, I'm aware that you have two other children as well, one of which is mentally disabled." They both cringed, hating that word. He was not mentally disabled, he had a mental disorder, there was a difference.

"That is correct your honour. Zayn is grown up and out of the house and Harry is 16 and he has schizophrenia." Liam answered deciding it best to not try and correct his terminology.

"In that case I believe it would be in Niall's best interest to grant custody to Ms. Maura Horan."

"WHAT?! We've raised Niall since the moment he was born, he's our son. We've done well raising them all together even when Zayn still lived with us...please don't take our baby." Louis sobbed. Niall clung tighter to Liam.

"Don't let them take me dada!" He cried.

"Mr. and Mr. Paylinson-"

"Wait! I- um. I can see they raised Niall well and he's happy with them. I would love to be his mother instead of just the woman that gave birth to him but his happiness comes first and he's not happy with having to leave them." She said as she looked over at Niall who clung to Liam as if his life depended on it. "Liam and Louis are great parents and I can tell they love Niall very much and I don't want to take that from them either... I withdraw my case."

"Are you sure Ms. Horan?" The official asked.

"Yes your honour. I just ask that I get to see Niall occasionally even if it's just at their house." Louis and Liam nodded frantically, anything to keep their little boy.

"Niall James Paylinson is to stay in the sole custody of Mr. and Mr. Louis and Liam Paylinson with supervised visits to a Ms. Maura Horan once every three months. Case closed." Liam and Louis sobbed out of happiness and relief and hugged and kissed Niall. Maura walked over to them.

"I'm sorry about all of this, I see how happy he is now and you have already and can continue to provide him with the best life possible. That's all I ever wanted, he's perfect. Thank you." She took a look at Niall who had fallen asleep and carefully reached out and stroked his cheek before leaving the courthouse. Liam and Louis left soon after and met Zayn, Marcel, Josh, and Harry at Niall's favourite restaurant to celebrate being able to keep their baby. They really appreciated everything he did much more now, even when he acted out. Almost losing him was one of the scariest things to ever happen to them. He was their son.

Thank you to Alana-Ray for this prompt and I apologize for not updating like I used to I've just been extremely drained lately and there's other things on my mind but keep sending in prompts and I'll update them as soon as I can. I promise I won't be one of those authors who only updates every few months, I hate that. I'll try to update a few times a week or at least once a week depending on how busy I am. Also Happy Belated Birthday to Whatafeeling5 whose birthday was yesterday the 2nd <3

QOTC: If you had to either be blind or deaf which one would you pick and why?