Chapter 25 The Darkness

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. I need some ideas so please give me some. You can have an influence of how the story goes but if you don't say something then you'll never know. Thank you to everyone who has read, voted, added to their library, and followed. Follow me and I will  follow you. Enjoy!

Chapter 25 The Darkness

"People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within," Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.

Another week of work passed before we got a case. We were going to Alaska and this time of year it was dark 24/7 and would be for some time yet, at least a week. I had to run home to pack some warmer clothes. Our killer was using the darkness to kill; a curfew had been enforced as there were more than five victims already. After I had packed and called Jack to let him know that someone needed to watch Eliot for me and I met the others at the airport. Garcia would be coming with us to keep our internet up and help get satellite phones set up.

Spencer, Morgan, and I were the first there. I had two bags; one had my clothes, shampoo and such. The other held heavy winter gear. We had to take two planes to get to our destination. One would take us to Nome, the other one would be a small private plane to take us to the next town that was across a lake. When I arrived at the jet Spencer was the only one there that I could see. Morgan was somewhere but I wasn't too worried about where. I knew he could take care of himself. "I wish this case had come at another time," he grumbled.

I sat down beside him, "Do you mind if I ask why?"

"I'm afraid of the dark," he admitted.

"Well then just stay close to me, I have excellent night vision."

"Thanks," he said shyly. I guess he had been expecting me to make fun of him or something.

"You're welcome," I said as everyone else climbed onto the plane and taking their seats.

"All right everyone, we'll brief the case then get some sleep since it is late," Aaron said taking the seat in front of Spencer and Morgan took the seat in front of me. JJ and Rossi took the sofa seat. "What do we know?"

"We can assume that he is insecure or lacks confidence because he uses the darkness to hide. So maybe he is unattractive," I said looking through my tablet.

"Based off the stab wounds we know that he is right-handed," Morgan said. That didn't narrow things down at all; more than 90% of the population was right-handed. "He's probably also a hunter and a native. To be able to find your way through these woods in the dark you would have to grow up here."

"How does he know who he's going to kill? I mean does he lure them there or are these victims of opportunity?" JJ asked.

"The signs of overkill means it is probably personal," I said. My brother smiled at me, but this is the kind of stuff that I didn't want to be right on, but had to be to save lives. "Overkill means rage, rage means a personal connection. He knows his victims and to get them alone in the dark they must trust him or he knows their routine."

Over the speaker came the pilot's voice telling us that we had been cleared for takeoff. Those who weren't sitting took a seat. Once we were in the air we turned our attention back to the case. "What else?" Aaron asked.

"None of the victims have anything in common as far as physical appearances go, and if they are victims of opportunity then we can assume that they are random."

"All right that's a good start, everyone get some rest. We'll have the autopsy files when we land. We can build more of a profile when we get there," Aaron said. I removed my earring aids and pulled my coat over me as I leaned back and quickly dropped off to sleep. The peace though wouldn't last long.

"Everything has its wonders, even the darkness, and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content," Helen Keller.