Chapter 8: A New Victim

A/N: Picture above is the doctor that works in the morgue

Chapter 8: A New Victim

The next morning there was a body found. The dump site was different than the others. The first five victims had been found in upscale neighborhoods. Kayla Smith, our new victim was found in an alley way in a bad neighborhood. I wondered why the change in dump site. Dallas had several upper-class neighborhoods; it wasn't like we had taken a specific type of location away from him. What was different about this girl? "Leandra!" my brother called and I got the impression he had been trying for several minutes to get my attention.

"Um," I asked looking up from my new case file.

"What is your opinion on the change in location?"

"I'm not sure yet, something has to be different about this victim. I mean Dallas has plenty of the upscale neighborhoods, meaning when dumping the girls there he wants them found quickly, even though the area is remote. But to change to an alleyway, he threw Kayla out like trash. What is different about her that the other victims didn't share? Did she not give into him, is she his real target, or is he just devolving?" I asked.

"Garcia is checking her history and JJ and I are going to go talk to the family," Aaron said. "I would like you and Reid to go to the morgue," my brother said to me. I nodded. The morgue was in the basement of the Sherriff's station so we didn't have to go far. As we walked to the morgue in silence I thought about a quote that got me through having to visit the morgue when a kid was the victim.

"I'm very comfortable with the nature of life and death, and that we come to an end. What's most difficult to imagine is that those dreams and early yearnings and desires of childhood and adolescence will also disappear. But who knows? Maybe you become part of the eternal whatever." Hugh Hefner

I opened the door to the stairs for both Spencer and I and let him pass. He mumbled his thanks, kind of distracted. "You all right?" I asked concerned.

"I'm trying to be," he said softly.

I placed my hand on his shoulder. He turned back to look at me. "If you want to talk about anything, I will listen," I said trying to be comforting. He nodded and turned to continue walking. I sighed and let him go and followed. At this current moment, we had a case to solve, and soon. If this was his target then he was going to disappear, if it wasn't then a lot more people were going to die. My guess was no one was sleeping tonight.

We both arrived at the morgue moments later and Dr. Malinko (Ma-link-o) was waiting for us. Her long blonde hair was tied back into a tight high ponytail; her scrubs were a royal blue with white long sleeves underneath and her feet bore tennis shoes. "Hello agents, you here for Kayla Smith?" she asked. Her voice was light and musical, like wind chimes in a soft breeze.

"Yes doctor," I replied moving so the table that bore our victim was in between us. Spencer stood behind me and looked over my shoulder. "What can you tell us about her?" I asked.

"Physically she looks just like the other victims. The most noticeable difference is that he didn't take any of the organs this time, but he did cut her hair and took it with him. She was also tortured and raped which is new. The other victims suffered some torture but no rape, for the most part, they were starved, but she was reported missing yesterday. So he is spending less time with his victims."

Great, he was devolving. This wasn't good. "Is there anything else that you can tell us?" Spencer asked scratching his side.

"She was electrocuted and drowned, the others died of thirst or exhaustion," Dr. Malinko said.

"I guess we should tell the rest of the team, anything else we should know?" I asked looking at Dr. Malinko.

"No, if I find anything else I will let you know," she said turning back to her work and Spencer and I left. We returned to the team and relayed what we had learned to the team and worked through the night, coming up with nothing of use. As dawn approached and I reached for more coffee I hoped that there weren't any new victims.